Fan clutches suck.

General Topics

Fan clutches suck.

Postby sombrio » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:45 am

That is all.

Anyone have experience with electric fan conversions? I'm not sure whether I want to convert my Spitfire to an electric cooling fan, replace the fan clutch (probably the most "correct" but also expensive and inefficient), or perhaps, if possible, just get rid of the fan clutch and install something where the fan just bolts directly on to the water pump. I don't know if I would need a new water pump for that though. Any thoughts?
sombrio

Re: Fan clutches suck.

Postby tut » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:31 am

I don't know about spitfires, but I know it's usually a bit of a prick to change. Change it anyway. It'll be the cheapest and easiest "good" fix..

Going electrical can be easy, if you wire it to always on. But you might run cool/cold most of the time. Same thing if you were to bypass the clutch to be always on..
tut

Postby 1300zuk » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:25 pm

I forget how the radiators are in them, but it might be easy to electric fan it. You could get fancy and use a temp sensor to turn it on, or just remember to flick a switch on it.
1300zuk

Postby sombrio » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:37 pm

Sounds like it's best to just put a new fan clutch on. Some people on the Triumph forums say the electric fans don't cool the engine quite as well as the original mechanical fan, and it came with a fan clutch, so it looks like I should just do the "right thing" and install a new one...
sombrio

Return to General Banter