[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Automobile Forum • View topic - Accidentally bought a new bike

Accidentally bought a new bike

General Topics

Accidentally bought a new bike

Postby thewalrus » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:31 pm

Swung by a bike shop this weekend just to poke around. Not really thinking I'd spend any money. Maybe get a new pair of shorts, or a light jacket for cooler weather.

Didn't last long - I saw a 2014 Marin Lombard Cyclocross bike for sale for a heck of a good deal - $500 off it's MSRP. Brand new. My size. I've been thinking about getting a bike like this for daily commuting, winter riding, rough road riding - etc. Basically any sort of stuff where my road bike would have a tough time, but where my mountain bike would be over-kill. So I ended up walking out with it.

I've ridden it about 100 km so far. And it's been brilliant. Took it on some rough gravel, a little grass, and a bunch of bad roads. Ate it up wonderfully. At the same time it's quick and agile on well paved roads. Sort of feels like the Subaru of bikes. You can't take it where you'd take a Jeep. And you can't fling it around like a Miata. But for day to day driving in all weather conditions, on all roads, it's perfect.

thewalrus

Re: Accidentally bought a new bike

Postby ryguy79 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:44 pm

Wow, that's nice. I've toyed with getting a cross bike for riding around town. Especially after hurting my knee a couple weeks back, bike paths and gravel have been more appealing that technical riding. We've got something called the Pikes Peak Greenway and the Santa Fe Trail, which run north/south, paved, along a creek through the city then is gravel north of the city. There is an east/west bike path right behind the houses across my street that goes to it. Rode it a lot on the 29er in the winter, but a faster rolling bike that can still be ok on dirt would sure be nice.

That or a second wheelset with faster, low volume XC race tires might work too.
ryguy79

Postby thewalrus » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:31 pm

thewalrus

Postby ryguy79 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:28 am

I would stick with flats if you're actually commuting on it. Bike shoes suck for walking. Even MTB shoes.

My riding lately, since wrenching my knee a few weeks ago, has been limited to this. If I'm walking around at all, flats. This our "commuter" to the park.

ryguy79

Postby ryguy79 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:30 am

That's my $60 USA made Nishiki, pawn shop find. Perfect townie/kid hauler.
ryguy79

Postby thewalrus » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:29 pm

thewalrus

Postby ryguy79 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:55 pm

She just turned 4 and really wants a bike. She rides her tricycle a lot but I'm not sure she's stable enough for a bike with training wheels. We tried some at REI and she had fun but almost fell off.
ryguy79

Postby ryguy79 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:03 pm

Also one of the huge benefits of buying a home right next to a bike path. Safe riding with kids.
ryguy79

Postby 1300zuk » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:47 am

The bik shop near me has a new old stock specialized roubiax sl4 pro race in I think my size. I'm afraid to sit on it, for fear of buying.
1300zuk

Postby thewalrus » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:17 pm

thewalrus

Postby thewalrus » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:42 pm

I'm seriously liking a lot of the offerings from Marin right now. Took a closer look at their road bike - the Selvio - at our local dealer. They aren't historically known for their roadbikes, but I really loved the way this one felt.
thewalrus

Postby ryguy79 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:35 am

I was at the bike shop picking up my fork after rebuild and seriously thinking how to get another Yeti. Can't get the ASRc off my mind.

But I have this almost done to keep me happy for now. Just need to install brakes, chain, route the cables, and get some more headtube spacers until I decide how low I want the stem before cutting. Super pleased with how this is turning out so far though.

ryguy79

Postby ryguy79 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:47 am

Also, on the subject of flats. I started riding flats again this year on my firebird and swapped them to the SB66. Good flats and good shoes are amazingly grippy. You may not need to go all out, but something with metal pins will offer good grip. Or you could go crazy like me with Race Face Atlas pedals and Five Ten freerider shoes. Except for pulling up on the pedals, I feel just as connected, even more connected in some ways, than with clipless on my 29er.
ryguy79

Return to General Banter