[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Automobile Forum • View topic - MS Bike Tour - 190 km last weekend

MS Bike Tour - 190 km last weekend

General Topics

MS Bike Tour - 190 km last weekend

Postby thewalrus » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:27 pm

Just finished yesterday. 2 days. 190 km. The first day was pretty nice. A few challenging hills. But a 30 km/h tail wind and fresh legs made it easier.

The way back was less kind. Up hill most of the way. A lot more challenging hills. And a head wind (with rain!) for almost the entire time. Still, finished well. Enjoyed the trip. And finally put my road bike to some good use.

I've got an off road triathlon next weekend - 600 meter swim, 15 km on a mountain bike on easy single track, and a 10 km trail run. Reasonably sure I'm going to be dead by the end of this summer.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (338.63 KiB) Viewed 43615 times
thewalrus

Re: MS Bike Tour - 190 km last weekend

Postby Talon » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:41 pm

Nice. That's a haul. There is one somewhat local to here that's 150 miles in two days. My dad - who's a huge biker - would ask me if I wanted to go. I told him I'd think about it and ran off to Mexico.

He hasn't found me yet.
Talon

Postby thewalrus » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:50 pm

thewalrus

Postby Talon » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:27 am

Ha. The first Corona is on me.

My dad once biked with a buddy from his house to my college dorm room to hang out for the weekend. It was a tick over 150 miles.... in one day!
Talon

Postby thewalrus » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:17 pm

thewalrus

Postby Talon » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:13 pm

Well, it was in ~2002 I’d guess. I know he has a really nice bike but I think you’re right, it wasn’t carbon fiber. I think it was maybe titanium? I remember the front fork being carbon fiber but nothing else was.

For sure. Swimming is tough. I haven’t been in a full size pool in years. Probably because the last time I was I did like two laps and almost drown. It basically kicks every muscle and joint’s ass in your whole body at once. I am just not an endurance guy. Weight training and hockey have molded me into maximum effort for 30-90 seconds and then rest. That must be why they all called me the minute man in college.

I’d like to get more into endurance stuff because that’s where your weight loss and toning come from. Did the Insanity workout twice, through and through. Good stuff…
Talon

Postby ryguy79 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:26 am

Very cool. I have never covered nearly that much distance on a bike. My dad did some bike touring when he was younger and his stories have made me want to try some off road bikepacking but 1. it never seems to happen and 2. 25 miles mountain biking it about my limit, but that could also have to do with my riding style of totally charging the descents when they could be used to rest a bit for the next climb.

I'm doing the 'tour de cure' thing for diabetes in the fall. No idea what the MTB course will be.

http://main.diabetes.org/site/DocServer ... cID=179905

This was the route last year, but most of it is on the Air Force Academy (which has a killer 12 mile mtb/hiking trail), but access to the academy is way more limited this year due to security concerns.
ryguy79

Postby millertime » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:05 pm

Haha Gabe. You call your wife nuts but 2 years ago you would have called someone nuts for biking 190 km.

It's only a matter of time before you go and make a post on here about doing an ironman. Shaughnessy will push you to it. I just know it.

Unless of course you have kids. At which point all bets are off.

By the way. Where was the trip?
millertime

Postby thewalrus » Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:11 pm

thewalrus

Postby Arthur Dent » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:11 pm

You should look into the Lost Soul run in Lethbridge. 50km, 100km or 100 mile run up and down the river valley through the bush. A friend of mine did the 100 mile (about the same as your bike ride) - you get Saturday and Sunday to complete that one (no stopping though). He was wreaked for the next week - had to wear slippers to work.
Arthur Dent

Postby thewalrus » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:18 pm

thewalrus

Postby ryguy79 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:11 am

I know a guy that does Ironmans. He was cool once. We skied, climbed, mountain biked together. Our families and one other even went to Durango together about 5 years back. Then he started doing triathalons and only talks about triathalons and how hard he trains and now I think he's a douchebag.
ryguy79

Postby ryguy79 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:11 am

In short, don't become a tri douche.
ryguy79

Postby ryguy79 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:13 am

But maybe you should come down here and do the Leadville 100 instead. 100 mile mtb race (or run) all above 10,000ft.
ryguy79

Postby thewalrus » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:20 am

thewalrus

Postby thewalrus » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:26 am

thewalrus

Postby ryguy79 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:53 am

ryguy79

Postby ryguy79 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:57 am