[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Automobile Forum • View topic - Mountain Biking - Ry, Miller, others?

Mountain Biking - Ry, Miller, others?

General Topics

Mountain Biking - Ry, Miller, others?

Postby thewalrus » Fri May 01, 2015 8:18 pm

I've been riding my road bike a ton so far this year. But I'm thinking about investing in a quality mountain bike to compliment it. There are tons of good trails around the city - single track, wider/smoother trails, etc. And I want to start riding those too. Not to mention all the awesome places you can take a mountain bike in the mountains.

I'm thinking hard tail right now. Lighter, easier up hills (I hear), quicker - and unless you're doing a lot of technical stuff (which I won't be doing) probably a better initial choice. Cheaper too.

Looking to spend $1-2k I think. Any thoughts?

I enjoyed the Trek Superfly 6 I tried out last weekend. Also looked at the Specialized Grasshopper / Rockhopper / Stumpjumper.

Also looked at the NorCo Fluid, as an example of something with a rear suspension. Really liked it. Not completely won over on my need for FS, though.

Leaning towards a 29er. But I've read good things about the 27.5s too. Though no one seems to sell them. At least without rear suspension.
thewalrus

Re: Mountain Biking - Ry, Miller, others?

Postby thewalrus » Fri May 01, 2015 8:21 pm

Leaning towards this guy right now. It'd match my Domane, too. Which, of course, is all important.

thewalrus

Postby ryguy79 » Fri May 01, 2015 8:38 pm

27.5 is marketing in my opinion, but its killing off 26ers. I think 26 will become a niche thing among the devoted. I've demoed several 27.5, I don't feel significant advantages over my 26" bikes. I can feel the difference between my 26" and 29" bikes. The 29er feels like it carries momentum through chunky rocks better and is faster overall for general XC riding. For a hardtail I would only go 29er, or the new 27.5+ (27.5 wheel with bigger tires, approx same overall size as 29er with regular tires).

For reference, I have two 6+" travel 26ers (rebuilding one for dh park riding) and 1 hardtail 29er.

What you choose really depends how and what you want to ride. I like both going for long XC rides of 15+miles with 3000+ ft of climbing, generally on the 29er, but I also love to shred technical downhill stuff where the full suspension helps out. With a fast XC tire on the rear of my 29er I am noticeably faster climbing on it. But it also weighs way less than my full susp bikes. 29er hardtail is not as fun when it comes to trails with drops and jumps though.

Money wise, and just being honest here, If you really think you'll ride real trails regularly at $1k you're throwing money away. I've got about $1700 into my hardtail, which I built with a used Yeti Big Top frame and some used drivetrain stuff from other bikes of mine and remaining new parts. I got a bike that is, except for my used drivetrain, spec'd on par with $3kish bikes I've seen at local shops.

Also, can't say enough good about 1x drivetrains. I have 1x10 on my Pivot Firebird with a wolf tooth 42tooth expander on the cassette, and 2x9 on my Yeti. I've never been a fan of the way front derailleurs shift and its so nice to only have to think about 1 shifter. I will be going 1x on my Yeti after I finish my dh bike. If you can find 1x11 in your price range, go for it.

Other things -

Brakes - can't go wrong with Shimano, and the new SRAM Guide brakes I put on my Yeti are ridiculously good.

Dropper seat post - makes descending so much more fun.
Last edited by ryguy79 on Fri May 01, 2015 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ryguy79

Postby ryguy79 » Fri May 01, 2015 8:42 pm

The Iron Horse 7 Point I'm rebuilding and my crowded garage. Got a Rock Shox Lyrik DH for it, need brakes still. Just got a new rear shock the other day too. Going too install a Works Components 2 degree headset to slack out the front end a bit more for DH. Excited for park riding again.

ryguy79

Postby ryguy79 » Fri May 01, 2015 9:14 pm

The Trek you posted looks like its a good bike. Same fork I put on my Yeti (for current spec, not in your picture) and I'm super happy with it. Most of the spec seems like basic, in house Bontrager stuff, but I don't think that's necessarily bad. Just not 'blingy'. Low end brakeset, but I've heard even Shimano's entry level brakes are good. I've ridden the Shimano SLX and XT brakes and they were impressive. Only other point of concern for me would be press-fit bottom bracket. I've not owned a press-fit frame, only threaded BB bikes, but I've read a lot about press fit starting to creak over time. I also like ease of service on threaded BB because its easy to just unscrew it with the right tool. But I don't know if you're the work on your own bike type like me. Anyway, looks like an excellent starter bike, with opportunities to upgrade stuff if you get as addicted as I am.
ryguy79

Postby ryguy79 » Fri May 01, 2015 9:22 pm

But seriously, mountain biking is the best thing ever, so you should spluge and buy what I think is the sexiest hardtail ever. I am biased though, as this is the successor to my Yeti.

http://www.yeticycles.com/#/bikes/arcc
ryguy79

Postby millertime » Sat May 02, 2015 2:20 am

Ya. What he said. Honestly Wally I have no idea. I havnt seriously ridden in close to 10 years.

It started with self preservation, then in became a workaholic and no I just have no time.

Edmonton had some decent trails. Nothing like the North Shore though. You should move here and maybe I would have a riding buddy to convince me to take it up again.
millertime

Postby thewalrus » Sat May 02, 2015 3:04 am

Ry - thanks a ton for all that. Helps a lot. I'm pretty sure, unless I find something really nice for less, that I'm going to go with the Trek. Loved the way it felt. Like the way it looks. And it seems like a really nicely put together 'off the shelf' bike - which is all I'm looking for.

I'll let you know what happens, though. My wife and I are probably heading out to the mountains in Mid May, and I'd like to have something by then.
thewalrus

Postby thewalrus » Sat May 02, 2015 3:15 am

thewalrus

Postby thewalrus » Sat May 02, 2015 3:26 am

thewalrus

Postby thewalrus » Sat May 02, 2015 3:28 am

Actually - huh - there is a place here that sells Yeti bikes. I'm going to check them out.
thewalrus

Postby ryguy79 » Sat May 02, 2015 3:41 am

ryguy79

Postby ryguy79 » Sat May 02, 2015 3:53 am

ryguy79

Postby ryguy79 » Sat May 02, 2015 11:57 pm

Went kayaking today, which has me questioning my statement "mountain biking is the best thing ever". Gotta say its a draw.
ryguy79

Postby millertime » Sun May 03, 2015 2:53 am

millertime

Postby Pennzoil GT-R » Sun May 03, 2015 11:14 am

I would seriously consider full suspension unless you plan to be doing lots of killer climbs. Hardtails will climb easier, but the advantages end there imo. You can cover all types of flat or downhill ground faster and more comfortably on a full suspension.

I just sold a Commencal FS which was a fantastic XC bike. Im not sure what bikes cost in the US, but any of the big name brands will do you well at the entry-mid level price bracket. Dont bother looking into the various frame designs etc too much, just get the highest spec components (brakes, gears etc) you can find for the price.
Pennzoil GT-R

Postby thewalrus » Sun May 03, 2015 3:30 pm

thewalrus

Postby thewalrus » Tue May 05, 2015 1:18 pm

thewalrus

Postby millertime » Wed May 06, 2015 4:28 am

you can have my downhill bike if you want to come to Vancouver and pick it up.
millertime

Postby ryguy79 » Fri May 08, 2015 3:09 pm

ryguy79

Next

Return to General Banter