2020

General Topics

2020

Postby Pennzoil GT-R » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:22 am

What a great year...

How's everybody doing? Anybody caught the virus yet?
Pennzoil GT-R
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:00 am

Re: 2020

Postby tut » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:45 am

Surely someone would have by now.... but not me. I’m in the lockdownest place in the world :P

Can’t complain too much about 2020; it’s the year I became a father :)
And with all the pandemic economical measures, I’m financially heaps better off :D
tut
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:56 am

Re: 2020

Postby Pennzoil GT-R » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:43 pm

Sounds like everybody in America is getting it so surely somebody here has had it.

Here we were not allowed outside for 3 months other than to the nearest supermarket. Thank god that's over.
Pennzoil GT-R
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:00 am

Re: 2020

Postby thewalrus » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:58 pm

It's honestly not ever been all that bad for us. But that comes, I suppose, with living on an island with 60+ km of frigid North Pacific water separating you from the nearest massive population centers. Vancouver Island has, I think, 6 active cases for a population of over 600 000 and only one new case in the last 24 hours with a total of 185 cases since the start. So people here have been generally relaxed. Following guidelines and orders, for the most part, but it just hasn't been as serious here as it has basically everywhere else. We also have a Provincial Health Officer with a light touch - making orders and rules only where absolutely necessary. Far from being confined to our homes at any point even at the height of pandemic in March - May we were encouraged to go outside - but to maintain 6 feet of distance while hiking and running and to avoid 'indoor areas' where possible. Some service providers were shut down - namely bars and restaurants for a while - but there was never a complete shut down of all non-essential services. In fact, I was diving and running and hiking and paddle boarding throughout the whole pandemic and reliably getting air fills and renting gear and buying new shoes.

Overall I think our response has been working. It's getting a bit worse lately (to the tune of a hundred or so new cases a day across BC) but ICUs are still largely free and our hospitals are far from being near capacity. We'll see how things are later in the fall if / when the second wave is supposed to hit.
User avatar
thewalrus
 
Posts: 590
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:05 pm

Re: 2020

Postby thewalrus » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:14 am

tut wrote:Surely someone would have by now.... but not me. I’m in the lockdownest place in the world :P

Can’t complain too much about 2020; it’s the year I became a father :)
And with all the pandemic economical measures, I’m financially heaps better off :D


Dude! Congrats!! Boy or girl? When were they born?

I also made that leap... though in 2019. And he's now just over 1 year old. Incredible. Terrifying birth, almost lost my wife to a hemorrhage and a lazy nurse that didn't believe me when I said my deathly white, pleading for help, delirious wife was possibly in need of help at 12:00 AM. But we made it through and things are incredible now.
User avatar
thewalrus
 
Posts: 590
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:05 pm

Re: 2020

Postby tut » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:30 am

thewalrus wrote:
tut wrote:Surely someone would have by now.... but not me. I’m in the lockdownest place in the world :P

Can’t complain too much about 2020; it’s the year I became a father :)
And with all the pandemic economical measures, I’m financially heaps better off :D


Dude! Congrats!! Boy or girl? When were they born?

I also made that leap... though in 2019. And he's now just over 1 year old. Incredible. Terrifying birth, almost lost my wife to a hemorrhage and a lazy nurse that didn't believe me when I said my deathly white, pleading for help, delirious wife was possibly in need of help at 12:00 AM. But we made it through and things are incredible now.


Congratulations!
It’s a boy, born in July... and I have a very similar experience with almost losing a partner and multiple blood transfusions

Oh well.... she’s on the mend now..... and he’s sleeping through the night (most nights)
tut
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:56 am

Re: 2020

Postby the_edge » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:44 pm

wow! some signs of life here! :shock:

TBQH I've missed some of ya! We had our fun for sure, and y'all even put up with my insane rants LOL. You're good guys.
the_edge
 
Posts: 200
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:09 am

Re: 2020

Postby the_edge » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:46 pm

thewalrus wrote:It's honestly not ever been all that bad for us. But that comes, I suppose, with living on an island with 60+ km of frigid North Pacific water separating you from the nearest massive population centers. Vancouver Island has, I think, 6 active cases for a population of over 600 000 and only one new case in the last 24 hours with a total of 185 cases since the start. So people here have been generally relaxed. Following guidelines and orders, for the most part, but it just hasn't been as serious here as it has basically everywhere else. We also have a Provincial Health Officer with a light touch - making orders and rules only where absolutely necessary. Far from being confined to our homes at any point even at the height of pandemic in March - May we were encouraged to go outside - but to maintain 6 feet of distance while hiking and running and to avoid 'indoor areas' where possible. Some service providers were shut down - namely bars and restaurants for a while - but there was never a complete shut down of all non-essential services. In fact, I was diving and running and hiking and paddle boarding throughout the whole pandemic and reliably getting air fills and renting gear and buying new shoes.

Overall I think our response has been working. It's getting a bit worse lately (to the tune of a hundred or so new cases a day across BC) but ICUs are still largely free and our hospitals are far from being near capacity. We'll see how things are later in the fall if / when the second wave is supposed to hit.


I'm surrounded by cavemen. I live in what is supposed to be a very liberal, highly educated area of the US and I still come across stupid people who refuse to wear a mask and they use the "I am a grown up! U can't tell me what to do!!!" and "mind ur own business!" types. I'm not sharing an elevator with those characters!
the_edge
 
Posts: 200
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:09 am


Return to General Banter

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 6 guests

cron