[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Automobile Forum • View topic - New old car musings.

New old car musings.

Re: New old car musings.

Postby Swerve » Fri May 01, 2015 11:05 am

I just assumed it was a factory extra, like a hardtop.
Swerve

Postby ryguy79 » Sun May 17, 2015 12:18 am

So I wrote Everyday Driver with my thoughts, I wonder if I'll wind up on their car debate podcast?
ryguy79

Postby ryguy79 » Tue May 19, 2015 1:33 am

FJ sold. Bought wife awd Chevy Traverse. She picked. I'm driving her Forester until I find something. Depsite being a sedan, I was going to look at a Jetta GLI but it was gone already. There's both a GTI and a Mazdaspeed 3 that are nearby that I'm interested in as well, but finding a Subaru that I want and isn't overpriced relative to its competitors or has silly miles is proving difficult. I think I'd be happy with a hot hatch. Actually considering DSG in a Volkswagen, just to make it easier to switch because my wife is not a fan of manuals, and there are times that I need the space. Plus could keep racks off my car in that case. We'll see.
ryguy79

Postby thewalrus » Tue May 19, 2015 3:59 am

thewalrus

Postby ryguy79 » Wed May 20, 2015 1:54 am

2012. Not sure when I'll get to look again, this week is getting pretty busy already. Hope to do some more serious shopping this weekend.

Side note: With the FJ gone, I'm without a manual transmission for the first time in 17 years. :cry:
ryguy79

Postby ryguy79 » Fri May 22, 2015 3:44 am

Drove a Mazdaspeed 3 tonight. Went to a dealer that had a 2008 that I was initially interested in, but it had sold today. The also had a 2011 that just came in today. 45,000 miles, somewhat modded but I didn't get all the details, but I know it had Cobb tune, intake, exhaust, aftermarket suspension and brakes, maybe more. Holy bejesus it was quick when it finally hooked up in 3rd gear. Brakes felt amazing.

I thought long and hard about it. They offered way over kbb trade value on the Forester and another $1500 off their asking price for the car, but I guess I'm just not comfortable buying someone else's modded car. And I'm not sure a high powered FWD car is in my future anymore, the power was useless around town but fun on highway ramps.

Back to finding the perfect Subaru I guess. Afterwards, had a bit of an epiphany on the way home. Maybe I'm getting old, but having driven a quick car again, I realized that its really not that important to me when I was driving the pokey automatic Forester home. I just want a decent handling hatch/wagon with a manual more than power at this point. Might even go for an Impreza wagon, 07ish, if I can find one with a manual. Certainly easier on the wallet in both purchase price and gas as an added bonus.
ryguy79

Postby ryguy79 » Fri May 22, 2015 3:54 am

I still can't believe I wrote that last paragraph and even moreso that its true.
ryguy79

Postby Swerve » Fri May 22, 2015 9:08 am

I know the feeling. The X-Trail road trip made me question the need for a performance car.
Swerve

Postby JaysonAych » Sat May 23, 2015 12:23 am

It's all the more crap when you realize how shitty it is to drive out there. I'd say that even driving my econobox at 2/5ths, I'm still out-accelerating and out-cornering 95% of traffic. It would be frustrating as all hell trying to drive a car with actual power and a tuned suspension when you spend all day every day stuck behind three lanes full of Honda Pilots all doing 2 MPH under the limit.
JaysonAych

Postby Talon » Sat May 23, 2015 9:54 pm

Talon

Postby tut » Sun May 24, 2015 12:27 am

It's More fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

I love my small block Mazda 2. Especially as I feel exactly like Jason... I do get opportunities to give my car some fun time, but had I had a faster car, these opportunities would be more limited
tut

Postby JaysonAych » Sun May 24, 2015 12:29 am

It's gotten to where I don't understand why average Americans want so much power in their cars compared to car buyers everywhere else in the world. We never fucking use it. Every day on my commute I usually can accelerate without ever going over 2,000 RPM and blow by every car on the road, including a multitude of cars that put out way more torque than I do, because no one pays attention to lights and when they finally notice it's their turn to go, they go as slow as humanly fucking possible.
JaysonAych

Postby ryguy79 » Sun May 24, 2015 2:47 am

So I've since driven a 2005 Impreza Outback Sport and a 2007 Impreza wagon. 07 felt slightly more free revving but not necessarily faster. Neither was fast, but decently fun and lots of WRX suspension bits bolt right up. And I won't mind putting a hitch and bike rack on the back of these. Probably better overall for my lifestyle and I like that era better than newer Imprezas.
ryguy79

Postby Talon » Sun May 24, 2015 6:28 pm

I just did the front brakes and rotors on mine a couple weeks ago. I was surprised to see dual-piston calipers up front. Probably shares the same as the WRX.

Dirty slut.
Attachments
P7220001.jpg
P7220001.jpg (156.47 KiB) Viewed 50927 times
Talon

Postby ryguy79 » Sun May 24, 2015 9:53 pm

Looks like you had some fun. I've thought about going sedan, as they seem to be less in demand in Colorado, but I just like the ease of hatch/wagon.
ryguy79

Postby tut » Sun May 24, 2015 10:44 pm

tut

Postby thewalrus » Sun May 24, 2015 10:53 pm

thewalrus

Postby thewalrus » Mon May 25, 2015 4:18 pm

thewalrus

Postby ryguy79 » Sat May 30, 2015 11:44 pm

Pulled the trigger on the 07 Impreza Wagon. Picking it up Monday. It was cheap and just had the timing belt/water pump done.
ryguy79

Postby ryguy79 » Sun May 31, 2015 2:19 am

And I've already bought a WRX rear sway bar.
ryguy79

PreviousNext

Return to Cars in General