[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Automobile Forum • View topic - New old car musings.

New old car musings.

New old car musings.

Postby ryguy79 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:33 pm

So now that we have kid 2, wife and I are thinking about a bigger vehicle for her. Which in turn has me thinking about a smaller vehicle for me. If she gets something that will pull our camper I'll be happy to get something quick again. I still have a soft spot for my Forester XT and prefer something with a rack for boats and bikes, so i may look for another, or a WRX wagon. Certainly used as I'd rather not spend extra on a new car and would rather save and/or spend the difference on mountain bike stuff. So I thought I'd post this up like everyday driver's car debate podcasts. What are other fun to drive wagons from the last decade that can be found for $15k or less?
ryguy79

Re: New old car musings.

Postby thewalrus » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:18 pm

SUbaru is the first place my thinking goes. Even outside of the Forester / Impreza you have some interesting cars. Friend of mine had the performance edition of the Legacy. Awesome car. The Outback has always caught my interest too.

If you don't mind the possible repair bills the 328xi wagon has got to be one of my all time favorites. 6 speed stick. Inline 6 engine. AWD. Lots of space. And it's not just like every other BMW on the road. Not sure if you'll find one from 2005 or newer for less than $15k, but it might be worth a look. Though, from what I've seen the Manual transmission in that car is a rare find.

And of course there's the Audi A4 wagon. Again with the expensive upkeep. But it seems like a pretty awesome car. A3 might be worth a look too - if you don't mind FWD.
thewalrus

Postby Turbojett » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:57 am

I take it a BRZ is out of the question? :lol: :lol:

I agree that a WRX would be a great car for the gearhead with a small family and some extra coin to spend on a little pocket rocket; wagon or sedan, I suppose it's all a matter of preference rather than necessity (I mean, if she's getting something big, do you really need the extra cargo space of a wagon?). Conversely, there's also a Lancer Ralliart, which is also a sedan/hatch with comparable performance.

I can't really think of anything else that would be reliable/inexpensive to buy/cheap upkeep. Not anything terribly useful I think.
I mean, It's a little ridiculous, but there's the Dodge Caliber SRT4, but I wouldn't buy that myself; performance is lackluster ( like they just dumped something more powerful in the engine bay of a regular Caliber and called it a day), and I'd rather a car that I can look back at after I park it, than a car I'd rather avoid looking at altogether.
Keep on Trollin' Image
Turbojett

Postby thewalrus » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:21 pm

thewalrus

Postby Arthur Dent » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:01 pm

Have you consider a sporty vehicle plus utility trailer?
Arthur Dent

Postby thewalrus » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:27 pm

thewalrus

Postby ryguy79 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:05 pm

Last edited by ryguy79 on Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ryguy79

Postby ryguy79 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:08 pm

ryguy79

Postby ryguy79 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:16 pm

And thanks for the suggestions, I've got some hunting to start now.
ryguy79

Postby ryguy79 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:55 pm

Wally, thanks for the Egan posting. Made me reconsider these. Looks like I might need to test drive one. No big rush, wife is going first since she's had her car for 8 years. But ads like this are promising.

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4979488398.html
ryguy79

Postby ryguy79 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:02 pm

Lol, sounds like a lawnmower crossed with an airplane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9-v38efEFk
ryguy79

Postby Arthur Dent » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:55 pm

You need a modern interperation on the Nissan Pulsar Sportbak!
Arthur Dent

Postby Swerve » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:22 pm

Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (284.91 KiB) Viewed 58179 times
Swerve

Postby tut » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:02 pm

how much do M class or R class benzes go for?

or a c wagon? possibly 63 amg?
tut

Postby ryguy79 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:51 am

ryguy79

Postby Swerve » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:57 am

Go with the Subie then.
Swerve

Postby ryguy79 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:49 am

I was just letting my inner bike nerd out. 2 seater is not in the cards, I've got 2 kids.
ryguy79

Postby Swerve » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:31 pm

My nephew has an Outback. 2000ish model, 2.2l manual. Not fast but I was impressed by how agile it felt. The gen between that one and the ugly current model looks really nice. Plenty of room for the kids and recreational gear.
Swerve

Postby Turbojett » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:05 pm

Keep on Trollin' Image
Turbojett

Postby Arthur Dent » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:28 pm

The SportBak were very rare but sold here in small numbers. Its been a really long time since I've seen one. Maybe 15 years.
Arthur Dent

Next

Return to Cars in General