[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Automobile Forum • View topic - Elon Musk makes me sad

Elon Musk makes me sad

Elon Musk makes me sad

Postby thewalrus » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:06 pm

http://www.theverge.com/transportation/ ... -dangerous

He's all for it, and figures it'll take 20 years.

20 years.

If he's right that means if you switch up cars once every 3 or 4 years a car enthusiast will only have about 5 more cars in their lifetime before they're taken away. After that our hobby is finished. ANd lets face it, 15 - 20 years from now, even if there are still some human-driven cars around, and they aren't outlawed - they'll be so loaded up with nanny features and tech that driving the way we imagine it will be pretty far removed from that experience.
thewalrus

Re: Elon Musk makes me sad

Postby Honor » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:06 pm

They'll have to pry the shift knobs from our cold, dead hands.
Honor

Postby ConeDodger » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:17 pm

Gooood luck with that. It's taken 50 years to convince people that seatbelts are worth using...and even that isn't 100%. You aren't going to convince society letting autonomous vehicles drive for you is safer any easier or quicker.
That kid that used to be Dodge...
ConeDodger

Postby Talon » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:38 pm

Won't happen.
Talon

Postby thewalrus » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:52 pm

thewalrus

Postby JaysonAych » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:59 am

JaysonAych

Postby thewalrus » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:14 am

thewalrus

Postby Les / Vipers Rule » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:25 pm

Elon Musk is an overrated PUTZ, so full of himself and his self-righteous drivel. People need to stop listening to him.
The worst mass murderers are women, they murder the unborn in millions per year and are the worst killers of children. Both points here are facts.

The global unholy alliance,Communism, Islam and the imposter Pope of the corrupted Catholic Church.
Les / Vipers Rule

Postby tut » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:01 am

I agree that "self driving car-lanes" might become a thing. and they might get a second lane, and the drivered cars might lose a lane. and another, and get banned from city centres...

:(

most people just don't care about driving anymore. just think about all the "automatic parking" and "traffic jam assist" and "cruise control" shit.. people just use their cars to get from where they are to where they want to be. and the less they're involved, the better.

the one thing i'm sort of worried about with driverless cars, would be, well, every redneck (no offense) and eastern European tranny gypsy work on their cars. how will self driving cars respond to bodgy bush mechanic fixes and duct tape engineering?
tut

Postby Turbojett » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:24 pm

he should just stick to making electric cars and stop pontificating.
Keep on Trollin' Image
Turbojett

Postby sombrio » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:12 pm

sombrio

Postby Swerve » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:41 am

Haven't we been over this already? Automated taxis and commercial vehicles will gain quick acceptance and the exposure (especially to the taxis) will quickly change perceptions.
Conversions will become dirt cheap over time and new cars will be far cheaper without the interactive bits.
Swerve

Postby the_edge » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:29 pm

the_edge

Postby the_edge » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:39 pm

And here's another scary thought - people will literally give up their liberty.

Right now, if you have a car and feel like it, you will get on your car and drive anywhere. Who cares about a traffic jam? If you want to go into a traffic jam, you can. You'd be a dumbass, but you could. Accident? You'll drive by it, in the midst of traffic, but you will.

Imagine getting on your "google car" and entering "mcdonald's in 2705 cherry road" on its GPS and... your car refuses to take you. Why? Reasons such as "there is too much traffic on that highway, choose an alternate route" or "police reports a car crash/crime, route denied" or hell, even "Google reports you haven't paid your google fiber bill. Please pay your balance now before you can use google car" (even though google fiber has nothing to do with the car GPS!).

Also, if you're worried about internet companies spying your every email (which happens), imagine them having access to your every destination. "It looks like Jimmy drives too much to fast food places, but not much to the gym... let's forward this information to insurance companies, for a price". Say you go to the doctor, then the next week, your wife goes to the doctor, and the next week, your daughter went to the starbucks next to the doctor's office, so she simply used the stored destination for the doctor's office - Now you have 3 doctor visits in 3 weeks logged in your car - watch as you get denied insurance everywhere!

What if your car decides you go too much to the local pub or whatever? Do you really want your car to be little big brother?
the_edge

Postby thewalrus » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:07 pm

Last edited by thewalrus on Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thewalrus

Postby thewalrus » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:12 pm

thewalrus

Postby Turbojett » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:37 am

So basically you guys are saying George Orwell was 50 years off the mark?
Keep on Trollin' Image
Turbojett

Postby thewalrus » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:11 pm

thewalrus

Return to Cars in General