[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Automobile Forum • View topic - I want a Macan S

I want a Macan S

I want a Macan S

Postby Swerve » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:07 am

As much as I dislike Porsche making SUVs, I have to admit to wanting one of these.

In any other country it probably wouldn't be the case, but our shitty tax system means the Macan S, with its turbo 3.0l engine, is 10ish % cheaper than the base Boxster.

It would make my drive home a lot more cheerful because one point has a bottleneck that could be dodged by driving down a very bumpy road (that the rich locals want that way to keep traffic out. To beat the bottleneck completely, I'd need to cut a curb and drive up a slight rise on to the end of a dead-end road, but I could do that because I'd be in an SUV. Furthermore,
I could turn right across traffic into my driveway, which the MR2 can't do without catastrophic scraping.

Of course I'd never be without a proper manual sports car, but the Macan looks like it beats the hell out of any other family vehicle in the price range.
Swerve

Re: I want a Macan S

Postby thewalrus » Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:46 pm

Yeah - I have to admit, I saw the recent comparison in R&T - between the Audi SQ3, the Mercedes GLA AMG, and the Porsche Macan S. The Macan S looks badass. So does the AMG, to be honest. And at least halfway practical too. I'd have to be pretty fantastically wealthy to go with the Macan over something like the Tiguan, however... if I was in the market for that sort of vehicle.
thewalrus

Postby Swerve » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:19 pm

I didn't have any respect for the A45 range due to the Haldex clutch. Then I watched Chris Harris testing the hatch against the M135. The GLA is good looking, but hard to justify a soft-reader like that when the hatch is far more in keeping with the spirit of the drivetrain. Whereas the Macan looks like and is more capable over rough terrain. Close to 2m wide, though.
Swerve

Postby Swerve » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:28 am

Doing my usual classifieds browsing and found someone selling a 2005 Cayenne S with a manual transmission. There can't be too many petrol V8 Cayennes with the manual. Despite the 2.2 tonne weight, somewhat shitty interior and appalling economy, I might prefer it to the PDK Macan.
Swerve

Postby thewalrus » Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:54 pm

thewalrus

Postby Swerve » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:56 am

It's apparently a pretty slick manual. It's an old enough car that the manual is quicker than the auto and, as good as autos/DSGs are getting, I still prefer to make the decision about how slurred or abrupt any given shift should be.
I would enjoy the manuals in thei cars you mentioned, but there is no comparison between the agricultural 4-runner/LR drivetrains and that of a manual 4.5l V8 Porsche.
Swerve

Postby thewalrus » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:55 pm

thewalrus

Postby Swerve » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:37 pm

And I get what you're saying. For some reason I have never grown out of the feeling that a manual transmission turns any trip into an adventure. Even so, I have driven my fair share and the slicker the shift and clutch actions, the more I want to return to a given car. The cars you mentioned would be fun as occasional toys (I did roll a 3-sp manual Nissan Patrol ute and so have an idea of how to be entertained by these vehicles) but the Cayenne would be everyday enjoyable. I wouldn't mistake it for a track day option.
Swerve

Postby thewalrus » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:29 pm

thewalrus

Postby ryguy79 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:34 am

ryguy79

Postby Swerve » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:35 am

Swerve

Return to European