Saw my first Jeep Renegade in the wild

Saw my first Jeep Renegade in the wild

Postby thewalrus » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:46 pm

Have to say it looked pretty good. A bit bigger than I was expecting. But I could see myself driving one. Reviews seem largely positive too - and the thing appeals to me on a lot of fundamental levels. A Wrangler light. Decent fuel economy, lots of room, feels like it'd be a pretty interesting car to drive.

Decided to check the pricing - up here you can't get into even the base Renegade, with 4WD, for less than $30 k after tax (and buying it without 4WD seems pointless). Nuts. The Trailhawk, which only comes with an auto, is closer to $35 k, and the limited is nearly $40.
thewalrus

Re: Saw my first Jeep Renegade in the wild

Postby thewalrus » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:48 pm

I don't know what my point is.

I guess I just figured the car was going to be about 20% less expensive than it ended up being. A basic, 4WD model with a stick shift, for $25 k or so would have been an awesome 2nd car when we eventually get one. But I've got a mental block at the $30 K level.
thewalrus

Postby JaysonAych » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:29 am

Fiat and Jeep quality, together at last.

I think the 4wd model is really neat, but I have severe doubts about reliability. I hear horror stories about Jeeps every day, including the one my folks have.
JaysonAych

Postby ryguy79 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:01 am

Just buy a Subaru.
ryguy79

Postby 1300zuk » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:25 pm

Just get a wrangler
1300zuk

Postby thewalrus » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:29 pm

JaysonAych wrote:Fiat and Jeep quality, together at last.

I think the 4wd model is really neat, but I have severe doubts about reliability. I hear horror stories about Jeeps every day, including the one my folks have.

Yeah. I'm definitely not gong to do it. One of those passing ideas that seemed pretty cool. And at $22 - $23 k for a 4WD Jeep like that I might have been tempted. But not at the prices they're asking. Ry is right. A Subaru or a VW TDI Sportwagon is more my style at this point. More practical, more efficient, and less money than the Renegade. Probably more reliable too.
thewalrus

Postby thewalrus » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:31 pm

1300zuk wrote:Just get a wrangler

I wish. I like the Wranglers. But I need more space for hauling stuff. And I think the fuel economy of the Wrangler would get really old, really fast. Maybe I could justify it if I did some real off roading. But the furthest I get into that sort of thing is some poorly maintained dirt roads.
thewalrus

Return to Cars in General