Is there still a market for inexpensive sports cars?

Re: Is there still a market for inexpensive sports cars?

Postby thewalrus » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:18 pm

Arthur Dent wrote:
thewalrus wrote:
Talon wrote:Can you imagine what a mint, stock, maybe 60k mile, gen3 Supra would be worth these days? 70k, maybe more.


There's a Gen 3 on Kijiji, selling through a dealer, with a claimed 90 some kilometers on it. For $70k.

Still has the plastic on the seats.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1990-toyota-supra/1033853144?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true


They will own that forever at that price.


I know, right? Talk about a depreciation hit if you plan on doing anything with it but storing it. Yeah, I put 10 000 km on it. Lost $55 000 off the purchase price.

Plus, 90 km over 25 years? I wonder when it was last started?
User avatar
thewalrus
 
Posts: 580
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:05 pm

Re: Is there still a market for inexpensive sports cars?

Postby Swerve » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:38 pm

Does the Mustang really weigh that much now? I recall the last live axle model was only around 1500kg...

They never even sold the Supra, MR2 Turbo, 300ZX turbo here, because they would have been too expensive. Luckily, that means lots of cheap imports can flood our used market.
Swerve
 
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:43 am

Re: Is there still a market for inexpensive sports cars?

Postby Talon » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:59 pm

thewalrus wrote:
Talon wrote:Can you imagine what a mint, stock, maybe 60k mile, gen3 Supra would be worth these days? 70k, maybe more.


There's a Gen 3 on Kijiji, selling through a dealer, with a claimed 90 some kilometers on it. For $70k.

Still has the plastic on the seats.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1990-toyota-supra/1033853144?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true



Yea, seems way high for a 1990. Still cool it exists, though.
User avatar
Talon
 
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:29 pm

Re: Is there still a market for inexpensive sports cars?

Postby Talon » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:00 pm

User avatar
Talon
 
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:29 pm

Re: Is there still a market for inexpensive sports cars?

Postby the_edge » Sun May 03, 2015 6:48 am

Swerve wrote:Z4 with the 3L TT is a pretty awesome sports car. Cayman iand 4C are a bit pricier, but there are various SLKs, Audi TTs etc. Basically, Europe has taken over from Japan.


That's an interesring thought. It make a lot of sense.

Aren't the euros a bit more expensive than the older japanese counterparts though? E.g. supra & 300zx vs TT and Z4
the_edge
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:09 am

Re: Is there still a market for inexpensive sports cars?

Postby the_edge » Sun May 03, 2015 6:49 am

thewalrus wrote:I think the ND Miata should be seriously considered - very light for it's power rating. Though I guess not exactly what you're thinking of.

I would say that the new Mustang GT packs a pretty huge punch for the money you spend - even (especially) in V6 guise. Then you also have the hot hatches from Subaru and Ford which, while not out and out sports cars, offer superior performance to almost anything in the early 2000s and very reasonable prices.


Gotta love miatas... they're so enduring :)
the_edge
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:09 am

Re: Is there still a market for inexpensive sports cars?

Postby the_edge » Sun May 03, 2015 6:51 am

Honor wrote:ROD since when is a 240SX not a sports car? Sports cars don't necessarily have to have lots of power. I mean we all have our own judgments and opinions but the 240sx was clearly designed to be a driver's car just like the Miata. I think a better case could be made against cars like the Ford Probe or Mitsubishi Eclipse since they're FWD.

There are sports cars and then there are high-performance sports cars. 240sx / miata = sports car, 300ZX / RX7 = high-performance sports car


I actually consider the 240sx a sports car, but some people tell me it wasn't (no one in AF, I mean in real life).
the_edge
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:09 am

Re: Is there still a market for inexpensive sports cars?

Postby the_edge » Sun May 03, 2015 7:07 am

I guess the definition of "sports car" I was using is a bit fuzzy and esoteric (btw Wally hit the nail in the head).

If there were a toyota camry that could outperform a Corvette in every single performance metric, I'd see it as just a very fast sedan. If I saw a Miata, with is sexy lines and all that, I'd think "oh! a sports car!". Performance obviously makes a sports car, but for the purposes of this topic I guess there was also an emotional element. The sort of car that has "sexy" lines, and is probably not very practical, is a sports car. These are the kind of cars many of us would have in a poster or as a cover in our middle school notebooks, cars such as ferraris, corvettes, porsches and well, technically, the lines of a 240sx or a miata fill the bill too.
the_edge
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:09 am

Re: Is there still a market for inexpensive sports cars?

Postby Les / Vipers Rule » Sun May 03, 2015 8:16 am

Sports car for me equals a driving enthusiasts car.

If the car was bought for sporty fun, sports racing, performance driving etc, it's a sports car for me.

Anal retentives will pidgeon hole the term sports car but that is their hang up not mine.
The worst mass murderers are women, they murder the unborn in millions per year and are the worst killers of children. Both points here are facts.

The global unholy alliance,Communism, Islam and the imposter Pope of the corrupted Catholic Church.
User avatar
Les / Vipers Rule
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:55 pm

Re: Is there still a market for inexpensive sports cars?

Postby the_edge » Sun May 03, 2015 7:29 pm

Les / Vipers Rule wrote:Sports car for me equals a driving enthusiasts car.

If the car was bought for sporty fun, sports racing, performance driving etc, it's a sports car for me.

Anal retentives will pidgeon hole the term sports car but that is their hang up not mine.


Image
the_edge
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:09 am

Re: Is there still a market for inexpensive sports cars?

Postby Les / Vipers Rule » Sun May 03, 2015 8:10 pm

the_edge wrote:
Les / Vipers Rule wrote:Sports car for me equals a driving enthusiasts car.

If the car was bought for sporty fun, sports racing, performance driving etc, it's a sports car for me.

Anal retentives will pidgeon hole the term sports car but that is their hang up not mine.


Image


No I'm not mad, I just don't give a shit about guys who want to be so specific as to what "sports car" defines?
The worst mass murderers are women, they murder the unborn in millions per year and are the worst killers of children. Both points here are facts.

The global unholy alliance,Communism, Islam and the imposter Pope of the corrupted Catholic Church.
User avatar
Les / Vipers Rule
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:55 pm

Re: Is there still a market for inexpensive sports cars?

Postby Turbojett » Sun May 03, 2015 8:42 pm

I did save the pic for future usage though. Good job there.
Stoplights are communist!
Keep on Trollin'
Image
User avatar
Turbojett
 
Posts: 292
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:06 pm

Re: Is there still a market for inexpensive sports cars?

Postby the_edge » Sun May 03, 2015 10:17 pm

Turbojett wrote:I did save the pic for future usage though. Good job there.


Thanks :D
the_edge
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:09 am

Re: Is there still a market for inexpensive sports cars?

Postby Swerve » Mon May 04, 2015 9:18 am

the_edge wrote:
Swerve wrote:Z4 with the 3L TT is a pretty awesome sports car. Cayman iand 4C are a bit pricier, but there are various SLKs, Audi TTs etc. Basically, Europe has taken over from Japan.


That's an interesring thought. It make a lot of sense.

Aren't the euros a bit more expensive than the older japanese counterparts though? E.g. supra & 300zx vs TT and Z4


I think the Z3 3.0 was about the same price as the RX7 and the 3000GT was more expensive than either. Z4 is no more pricey.
Swerve
 
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:43 am

Re: Is there still a market for inexpensive sports cars?

Postby tut » Mon May 04, 2015 10:10 pm

I guess America doesn't get a Peugeot rcz? Cause they're about he price of a golf with a few options here...


I'm getting confused though... Are we talking about sports cars or sporty looking cars? Cause a tiburon has sleek lines ;) or as a lady friend of mine once said, a Ferrari with a better price tag
tut
 
Posts: 162
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:56 am

Re: Is there still a market for inexpensive sports cars?

Postby Honor » Mon May 04, 2015 11:25 pm

Sure, and a crop duster is an F22 with a better price tag.
User avatar
Honor
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:32 pm

Re: Is there still a market for inexpensive sports cars?

Postby Turbojett » Tue May 05, 2015 9:06 pm

tut wrote:I guess America doesn't get a Peugeot rcz? Cause they're about he price of a golf with a few options here...


I'm getting confused though... Are we talking about sports cars or sporty looking cars? Cause a tiburon has sleek lines ;) or as a lady friend of mine once said, a Ferrari with a better price tag

We haven't had any French cars since at least the late 80's. I think Peugeot was the last to leave but I'll have to check up on that. Shame, too, because modern offerings by the Trois Grands are rather fetching, and that RCZ in particular is quite attractive.

Ed: yeah, Peugeot left in 1991. Renault left in '87 after its partnership with AMC fell through (and they sold AMC to Chrysler); and Citroën left even earlier, in 1974, and they've been trying to come back for a few years now, but there have been nothing but false starts on that end.
I'm actually kind of surprised. I always thought that Peugeot was the only French automaker to sell in the US in my lifetime. I can't say I ever saw any Renaults.
Last edited by Turbojett on Wed May 06, 2015 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stoplights are communist!
Keep on Trollin'
Image
User avatar
Turbojett
 
Posts: 292
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:06 pm

Re: Is there still a market for inexpensive sports cars?

Postby Swerve » Wed May 06, 2015 12:27 pm

The double bubble roof to the back of the RCZ is really sleek. One of those cars I'd never consider, but enjoy seeing in traffic.
Swerve
 
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:43 am

Re: Is there still a market for inexpensive sports cars?

Postby the_edge » Mon May 11, 2015 1:28 am

Swerve wrote:
the_edge wrote:
Swerve wrote:Z4 with the 3L TT is a pretty awesome sports car. Cayman iand 4C are a bit pricier, but there are various SLKs, Audi TTs etc. Basically, Europe has taken over from Japan.


That's an interesring thought. It make a lot of sense.

Aren't the euros a bit more expensive than the older japanese counterparts though? E.g. supra & 300zx vs TT and Z4


I think the Z3 3.0 was about the same price as the RX7 and the 3000GT was more expensive than either. Z4 is no more pricey.


Gotcha.

How expensive was the 300zx compared to the Z3 3.0?
the_edge
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:09 am

Re: Is there still a market for inexpensive sports cars?

Postby the_edge » Mon May 11, 2015 1:33 am

tut wrote:I guess America doesn't get a Peugeot rcz? Cause they're about he price of a golf with a few options here...


I'm getting confused though... Are we talking about sports cars or sporty looking cars? Cause a tiburon has sleek lines ;) or as a lady friend of mine once said, a Ferrari with a better price tag


Mostly sports cars (e.g. 300zx, corvette, Mitsu 3000gt) and to a lesser extent sporty-looking cars with at least some degree of sporting abilities (like the 240sx or BRZ)
the_edge
 
Posts: 190
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:09 am

PreviousNext

Return to Cars in General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron