[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Automobile Forum • View topic - Rate Your Car vs. The Best/Favourite Car You've Driven

Rate Your Car vs. The Best/Favourite Car You've Driven

Rate Your Car vs. The Best/Favourite Car You've Driven

Postby Swerve » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:19 am

I have an idea that may either lead to a realisation that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Or it may make you hate your lot in life - hard to know for sure at this stage...
Anywho, rate your current car/s against on a scale of 1 to 10 using the following criteria. Then rate the best/favourite car you have ever driven according to the same metrics. You may be surprised (or, as disclaimered above, saddened) by the outcome.

1. Exterior (what do you love about the car and how close does it come to a perfect 10?)
2. Interior (aesthetics, ergonomics, quality of materials)
3. Engine (torquey, revving etc.)
4. Gearbox (ease of use, tactility, speed, intuitive etc.)
5. Handling (on/off-road, confidence inspiring, steering feel etc.)
5. Practicalities (fuel efficient, seating/luggage capacity)
6. Value (vs. comparable cars, the wider market etc.)

As ratings would be both circumstantial and subjective, I think it will be interesting to see AFers ratings for particular cars. And also whether their experience with the "best" cars they've driven actually result in higher overall scores for those cars than the ones owned, given the criteria.
Swerve

Re: Rate Your Car vs. The Best/Favourite Car You've Driven

Postby JaysonAych » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:13 am

JaysonAych

Postby Talon » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:57 pm

This is kind of tough because, even though I’ve driven a fair amount of cars, nothing really in the same class as the Evo… at least extensively.

1) Exterior: 8.5. I’ve always loved the jagged-edged look of the Evo. Being a child of the 80s and crediting the 88 Countach as the car that got me into cars, I think you can see why. I think it’s very aggressive, and I like the FMIC from the factory. The big, red Brembos and BBS wheels don’t hurt either. The exposed carbon fiber on the rear wing is also really cool. To top it all off, the Electric Pearl Blue is the best color ever and the fact this car is that color makes it even more stunning. I think I’ve only ever seen one other EPB Evo 8/9 ever. In 03 & 04, the blue was different called Blue By You. It was lighter and more of a matte. The EPB is darker with the flakes and everything. Love it.

I don’t really like the ass end view of the car. I think it’s pretty plane-Jane. I also hate the white-out tail lights. Wish it came with just regular red lights, but not worth the $$$ to replace them. I used to really dig the wing but as I get older I do wish it were smaller. I am liking the looks of the small ‘trunk-bump’ style more. But, again, the wing does serve a purpose and I am not going to pay to get rid of it. And, again, the exposed carbon fiber center and sides (internally) is cool.

I wouldn't be surprised if 99.9% of the people out there driving, have no idea what an Evo is when they see me on the streets.

2) Interior: 4. Let’s face it, the $30k this car cost went into everything but the interior. The Recaro seats are amazing but that’s pretty much where it ends. Otherwise a very Spartan, utilitarian interior with no cruise control. Thankfully, I don’t give a fuck.

3) Engine: 9.5. The 4G63T needs no praise from me. I do wish it was a little torqueier down low than it is, but that’s the price you pay for having 2.0l and a decent size turbo. I am surprised the Evo X wasn’t a 2.3 or bigger since they redesigned an engine for that car. That being said, I am glad the 8s had the 4G63T. Acceleration in the Evo is also very violent. It goes from Jeckle to Hyde almost instantaneously… and I love it.

4) Gearbox: 9. Gave it a nine because it’s never done me wrong. I do wish it had another gear for freeway use… shorten up 5th a littler and make a taller 6th.

5) Handling: 10. Can’t say enough about this car’s handling. The steering is pin-point and the car just goes where you point it. It’s very confident building. It doesn’t plow like most Subarus and even if you come into a corner way too hot, give it some gas and it’ll pull you right where you want to go. Even when the tail comes loose, a quick counter steer and she’s straight again; you don’t even need to let off the throttle.

One of the biggest impressions this car left on me is when I went to an AutoX and it began to rain. I put the ACD in Gravel (Rain) setting, and was able to drive in the wet just as aggressively as the dry. Other drivers were working like mad to get good laps, whereas the Evo would just go. And that’s the thing about this car: the harder you push it the better it responds. It’s easy to see why Clarkson was able to out-handle a Murcielago in an Evo.

6) Practicality: 9. Even with all the sportiness of the car, it’s also extremely practical. It has four doors, AWD, four cylinder (low 20s mpg, but it could do better) and a decent size trunk. There is plenty of leg room for rear passengers and a baby seat fits in the back much better than my Subaru. My only issue is that the rear seats don’t fold down (but they don’t fold down on my Impreza either).

7) Value: 9.5. You seriously can’t beat this car for price, performance, and practically. Sure, there are cars faster, cheaper, and bigger, but not in the same car. I challenge you to name one, sold in North America, than can do it all better than the Evo (and don’t say WRX, basically the same thing as far as this criteria is concerned).

8) In conclusion, you have to want to drive an Evo to drive an Evo. It’s acceleration is violent, it’s loud, and it’s bumpy. All of these things can be viewed as a negative, which is why I think the STI is/was outselling the Evo: the STI is a more watered down counterpart, that’s got more gizmos inside, a smoother ride, and a smoother power curve. However, to me, all the aforementioned things about the Evo are what make it a real driver’s car.
Last edited by Talon on Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Talon

Postby Arthur Dent » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:06 pm

This is a bit hard for mine. I've driven and owned a lot of cars but most of them have been crap and usually at the end of their life span. My current car (Mazda 2) isn't an enthusiast car but our second family car / commuter. I'll evaluate it in that role

1. Exterior

7.5/10

I love the green colour. Still the nicest of the metallic greens that have come out.

The rear angle is nice for a small hatchback. The front has too much front over hang however. This is mostly crash worthiness related.

2. Interior

7/10

Bare bones but I like it that way. Logical controls, attractive to look at. Materials are good for the class except for the driver's seat which is wearing faster than expected.

3. Engine

8/10

100hp isn't a lot. But engine is very willing. Super easy to work on. It isn't a super car but its a lovely motor for an economy car.

4. Gearbox

8/10

Gearbox is brilliant. One of the best ever for a fwd car. I prefer it over my mother's 6spd TSX. The clutch is merely ok. Suffers from lousy clutch cushioning system that makes it easier for amateurs to drive. Most modern clutches I've driven are similarly crappy to various degrees.

5. Handling

8/10

Weight is similar to a first gen Miata but with fwd. With a little less body roll it would be hard to fault.

5. Practicalities

7/10

Cheap to run, excellent in city mileage. Highway mileage held back a little by aerodynamics (short) and gearing (also short - a little busy). A little too tight for our family of 5 but that is why the wife has her giant vehicle.

6. Value

8/10 cheap to buy, super cheap to run. Can do an oil change without jacking it up. Hard to fault it here. I've run cheaper used cars (my LeBaron for example).
Arthur Dent

Postby Swerve » Fri May 01, 2015 12:22 pm

Ever since you posted this, I've been noticing green Mazda 2s everywhere!
Swerve

Postby Arthur Dent » Fri May 01, 2015 1:56 pm

Arthur Dent

Postby thewalrus » Fri May 01, 2015 2:48 pm

VW TDI. I was going to do the MGB too - but I quickly realized I'd be giving in low grades in everything but exterior styling. Of course that's also not why you buy an MGB...

1. Exterior: 7/10

I like the styling of the Golf. It's got crisp lines, nicely styled headlights that don't look comically angry or cute. Good visibility out all windows. And generally is nicely proportioned. It also isn't stunning. It's a 5 door, you can only do so much with the styling. But I think VW has done it well. Not the nicest looking car I've driven, but certainly above average.

2. Interior: 9/10

I love VW interiors. Well laid out. Well constructed. Compared very favorably to the Audi I test drove a few years back. For obvious reasons. There isn't a lot to it, but it's high quality. Soft touch plastics. Good fit, good finish. Dash lighting is great - and that's important in Edmonton, where it's dark out for a good portion of the day, at least half the year. Honestly, I'd say it, along with the GTI were the nicest interiors of any car I've driven for significant time.

3. Engine: 8/10

This is a tough one. In some ways, the classics - the 289 in the Mustang I drove. The Flat 6 in the 911 I took around the block once. The twin cam in the Alfa Spider. Deserve more praise from an emotional / historical standpoint - even if they do less with more. And of course other engines - Miller's STi, my own GTI, and the I4 in the Miata were better engines from a performance stand point. From an auditory one, too. But I give a lot of credit to the TDI engine. It gets fantastic gas mileage. Touching 60 mpg on the highway, at speed. It provides a huge amount of torque. And it's a nice performer around town when you put your foot into it. The environmentalist in me wants to rate the TDI as a 9. Even a 10. The car enthusiast in me gives it a 6 or a 7. I'll average it to an 8. For it's purpose, as a daily driving, highway cruising, engine...the TDI is fantastic.

4. Gearbox: 6/10

It's not a manual. And no matter what people say, it doesn't impart the same feel. It does it's job. And it does it well. But compared to the gearboxes I had in the GTI, the Miata, even the Civic and CRZ, it comes up short. If I HAVE to have an automatic, I suppose this is as good as any. But it can't compete with the best ones I've driven.

5. Handling: 8/10

The Golf chassis and suspension is wonderful. Especially for what the car is - ie. it isn't sports car. Sporty, responsive. Composed in the snow and on the wet. Compared to the worst cars I've driven, the VW feels almost miraculous. Compared to the best handling cars I've driven - it still feels predictable, well sorted, and nicely balanced. If not quite as finely tuned as, say, the Miata, the GTI, or the Mini Cooper S.

6. Practicalities: 9.5/10

This car has a ton of room - my wife and I took it, along with two road bikes, a weekends worth of clothing and food, camera gear and camping stuff for weekends in the mountains. Took it all in. Now that we have a hitch for two bikes on the back, we can bring two other people along too. It's amazing how much stuff you can get in the car when you need to. And I think that's also what makes it such a nice all round car. The next most practical car that I've driven - would be the GTI. Followed by the wally-wagon. Sure, you can get something with more storage room - but it comes at the expense of maneuverability, fuel economy and performance. And I suppose if I was being honest, the most practical vehicles I've driven - things like the RAV 4 or Lexus RX would rank slightly higher - and push this car into the 8/10 territory. But they were also bigger, wallow-y , vehicles that lacked the agility of the VW Golfs. And I think that that agility around town counts for something in this section. The only car, I can think of, that ranked higher than this on the practicality scale would have been the Subaru Forester. And I only test drove that - so its tough to say how much better it would have been on a day to day basis.

7. Value: 7/10

You pay for the VW name plate - a little. And you certainly pay on servicing. For pure value, I think, Honda or Toyota are tough to beat. At the same time, you get an awful lot with this car. And I don't mind paying a bit of a premium if I like the intangibles that a car brings.
thewalrus

Postby ryguy79 » Fri May 01, 2015 9:49 pm

Not even going to bother. The FJ is in no way a fun car except that its a manual. It its easy to haul kayaks, bikes, music gear, camper, etc. And fun to wheel when I get the chance but that's like 1% of my driving.
ryguy79

Return to Cars in General