So I'm in love...

So I'm in love...

Postby thewalrus » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:26 am

The Cayman GT4. 911 Engine. Apparently a lot of bits and pieces from the GT3. Ties the 2011 GT3 around the Nurburgring. Only offered with a 6 speed manual. And less than $100 k. (ha!)

Still - awesome car. Seems Porsche is also losing the inclination to keep the 911 and the Cayman apart.

Also interesting, it seems like a Boxster Spyder GT4 might be coming around.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/porsche-said-to-be-considering-a-boxster-spyder-gt4/

Of course in my pay bracket (and most definitely in my possibly future pay bracket), a 10 year old Cayman might be the best I can hope for.
thewalrus

Re: So I'm in love...

Postby Turbojett » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:35 am

...but a guy can dream.

Nice that the Cayman's finally getting its due. It'd still be pretty cool to see one with a turbo engine/AWD/PDK, but I doubt that's gonna happen either.
Stoplights are communist!
Keep on Trollin'
Turbojett

Postby Talon » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:14 pm

I was never a big fan of the Cayman. Something about it was always just 'blah' to me.

That, however, is sweet. Do want!
Talon

Postby ryguy79 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:37 pm

Cayman GT4 is my 'if i won the lottery car'. Sure, there are faster, more exotic cars. But this one seems just right.
ryguy79

Postby ryguy79 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:39 pm

Turbojett wrote:...but a guy can dream.

Nice that the Cayman's finally getting its due. It'd still be pretty cool to see one with a turbo engine/AWD/PDK, but I doubt that's gonna happen either.

fuqapdk. deserves a real manual for real men.
ryguy79

Postby Swerve » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:32 pm

The GT4 seems like a brilliant car. Sold out in hours. Give it a couple of years and the GT3 and GT4 will be the only non-turbo Porsches.
Swerve

Postby Turbojett » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:59 pm

ryguy79 wrote:

granted, but a PDK would be faster.
Keep on Trollin'
Turbojett

Postby thewalrus » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:52 pm

Turbojett wrote:
ryguy79 wrote:

granted, but a PDK would be faster.

Unless you're racing it, who cares? The few tenths of a second would be more than made up for in the sheer fun of rowing your own gears.

And lets face it, the traditional manual is on it's way out. This Cayman might be one of the last opportunities to buy a new, an all out, sports car with a stick shift.
thewalrus

Postby ryguy79 » Fri May 01, 2015 9:32 pm

thewalrus wrote:
Turbojett wrote:granted, but a PDK would be faster.

Unless you're racing it, who cares? The few tenths of a second would be more than made up for in the sheer fun of rowing your own gears.

And lets face it, the traditional manual is on it's way out. This Cayman might be one of the last opportunities to buy a new, an all out, sports car with a stick shift.

Exactly, on both counts.

I don't drive a number. Hell, I still think the most fun car I've owned for sheer driver involvement was my CRX. Manual gearbox, no power steering, so fun. Didn't matter that it took 8 seconds to get to 60.
ryguy79

Postby Turbojett » Sun May 03, 2015 8:39 pm

touche
Keep on Trollin'
Turbojett

Postby Swerve » Sat May 09, 2015 7:05 am

I get the appeal of the GT4 being as fast as possible, given the name implies a racing focus. But this particular car is clearly designed to avoid being a junior GT3. The GT3 is now PDK-only, so I think it is genius by Porsche offering this only with the manual.

Besides, in the latest Evo a base Cayman beat the Exige (among others) around a track. So the GT4 must move.
Swerve

Return to European