Currently Madly in Lust with These Things.

Re: Currently Madly in Lust with These Things.

Postby ryguy79 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:56 am

Raska needs to rename the forum www.oldsmobileforum.com.
ryguy79

Postby Honor » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:02 am

:roflmao:
Honor

Postby Turbojett » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:20 am

Whatever. I was just saying they'd be pretty hairy in the rain even just at street speeds. Because y'know, water.
I'm just a huge fan of not getting wrapped around shit that's sticking up out of the ground is all.
Stoplights are communist!
Keep on Trollin'
Turbojett

Postby ryguy79 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:43 am

Sounds pretty paranoic to me.

Whatever happened to Rod?
ryguy79

Postby Honor » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:13 am

I think Ascona finally found him
Honor

Postby Talon » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:34 am

Ascona and Pennz got to him because witness protection could.

RIP ROD/The Edge
Talon

Postby Swerve » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:30 am

thewalrus wrote:
Honor wrote:That was before they got the power bump. In 2010 they got the 265hp (supposedly underrated) and are capable of 4.7 0-60 and low to mid 13s in the 1/4. And that was really just supposed to be a crack about how Toyota decided to stop making sports cars.

But they do make a sports car (kinda) with the FR-S. And they make a powerful / fast car. So why not have they make a turbo-charged FR-S?

In any case, apparently it isn't going to happen. I recall reading a (fairly) recent article which said that the idea of a performance edition FR-S / BRZ is shelved. The basic cars didn't sell well enough, so the thought was that there'd be little appetite for a more expensive version. Which is too bad. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if these cars weren't cancelled after another year or two of poor sales.

Just goes to show that the desire for performance cars, along with driving enthusiasm generally, is on the decline. I think we'll look back and figure that the late 90s to the early 2000s represent the end of that era.

Interesting if true about the sales. Because over here they are everywhere and there was a waiting list. Rich guys are trading their Boxsters and they are on every corner. They're actually too common considering the new MX5 will probably be at least as good to drive but with a quality interior.
Swerve

Postby SBF » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:15 am

Swerve wrote:
thewalrus wrote:
Honor wrote:That was before they got the power bump. In 2010 they got the 265hp (supposedly underrated) and are capable of 4.7 0-60 and low to mid 13s in the 1/4. And that was really just supposed to be a crack about how Toyota decided to stop making sports cars.

But they do make a sports car (kinda) with the FR-S. And they make a powerful / fast car. So why not have they make a turbo-charged FR-S?

In any case, apparently it isn't going to happen. I recall reading a (fairly) recent article which said that the idea of a performance edition FR-S / BRZ is shelved. The basic cars didn't sell well enough, so the thought was that there'd be little appetite for a more expensive version. Which is too bad. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if these cars weren't cancelled after another year or two of poor sales.

Just goes to show that the desire for performance cars, along with driving enthusiasm generally, is on the decline. I think we'll look back and figure that the late 90s to the early 2000s represent the end of that era.

Interesting if true about the sales. Because over here they are everywhere and there was a waiting list. Rich guys are trading their Boxsters and they are on every corner. They're actually too common considering the new MX5 will probably be at least as good to drive but with a quality interior.

Maybe in Australia. You guys love RWD down there. Here in the US, they're not selling as well. Guys are trading in their boxters for Acuras and Lexus'. There's a waiting list, but that's because dealers have like two on the lot and they order what a customer wants. They just not selling. How long have they been out? I've only seen two in the wild.
SBF

Postby Talon » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:45 am

They've been out for a couple years now, eh? I think I've seen eight to 10 maybe. I'd.........just.......... rather an S2.
Talon

Postby ryguy79 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:46 am

I see bunches of them in Colorado. Then again, it wouldn't surprise me if we have one of the higher Subaru per capita ratios in the country.
ryguy79

Postby Honor » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:55 pm

Talon wrote:They've been out for a couple years now, eh? I think I've seen eight to 10 maybe. I'd.........just.......... rather an S2.

That's not even a contest. But the S2k was significantly more expensive and all.
Honor

Postby thewalrus » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:50 pm

Honor wrote:
Talon wrote:They've been out for a couple years now, eh? I think I've seen eight to 10 maybe. I'd.........just.......... rather an S2.

That's not even a contest. But the S2k was significantly more expensive and all.

BUT WHAT IF YOU HAVE TO DRIVE IT ON A SLIGHTLY DAMP SURFACE???
thewalrus

Postby Honor » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:33 pm

Keep the RPMS down low where it's not much better than a civic, youll be fine.
Honor

Postby ryguy79 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:10 am

thewalrus wrote:
Honor wrote:

BUT WHAT IF YOU HAVE TO DRIVE IT ON A SLIGHTLY DAMP SURFACE???

You'll die.
ryguy79

Postby ConeDodger » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:36 am

I spent a lot of time in an AP2 S2000:

Twitchiest, snap happy car i've ever driven. It's a hair raising experience when you push it. But if you drive like a normal human being, a perfectly fine daily driver.
That kid that used to be Dodge...
ConeDodger

Postby Swerve » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:05 am

That was before they got the power bump. In 2010 they got the 265hp (supposedly underrated) and are capable of 4.7 0-60 and low to mid 13s in the 1/4. And that was really just supposed to be a crack about how Toyota decided to stop making sports cars.

SBF wrote:Maybe in Australia. You guys love RWD down there. Here in the US, they're not selling as well. Guys are trading in their boxters for Acuras and Lexus'. There's a waiting list, but that's because dealers have like two on the lot and they order what a customer wants. They just not selling. How long have they been out? I've only seen two in the wild.

I see at least 2 per day and probably have for the last year. My work car park has about 300 spots and it would not surprise me if multiple of these were in there (I know there's one near the entrance).

I was going to say we used to like RWD but don't care anymore. The highest selling cars have switched from the Falcon and Commodore to the Mazda 3 etc. But you may be on to something because the FT86 is the first affordable, RWD hatch like car to be sold in a long time - apart from the 120d, but I doubt that's being bought for its dynamics.

One of my friends died crashing his S2000 in the wet. But he was reckless.
Swerve

Postby Swerve » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:31 am

Found an article from last year saying Aus was the 3rd largest market for the FT86, with almost 7,000 sales here to the US (in second) on 21,000. Which sounds like it's doing better over there, until you remember that annually more F150s are sold in the US than our entire vehicle market.

However, the real reason it's popular here is because we don't have access to the Camaro and Mustang. Even when the Mustang is officially sold here next year, it is likely to be twice the price of the FT86. For similar money I'd take the V8 Mustang every time...

I'm surprised UK sales are so poor. They need a hybrid model, I guess.
Swerve

Postby SBF » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:24 am

I watch a few different UK car shows and it seems like a pain in the ass to own a car there. In all honesty, they have a huge Gray Market for used Japanese cars, it would be more affordable to get an S15 Silvia, than a new GT86.
SBF

Postby Swerve » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:21 am

Of corse it would - same here. But a lot of S15s have hit the market as their owners switch to the Toyota, since it's the closest new car in spirit, power and weight to the S15 since that went out of production.
Swerve

Postby Turbojett » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:41 pm

SBF wrote:I watch a few different UK car shows and it seems like a pain in the ass to own a car there. In all honesty, they have a huge Gray Market for used Japanese cars, it would be more affordable to get an S15 Silvia, than a new GT86.
I supposed like all major cities it's a pain in the ass in London. But it just seems like the British Government has declared war on the car and will not rest until the concept of the personal automobile lies dead. What's worse is that I think (not sure; but I'm sure a certain someone will rudely chide me if I'm wrong) most of the population is on board with that idea.

A disappointing sentiment, especially considering it's from the people that invented the sports car in the first place.
Stoplights are communist!
Keep on Trollin'
Turbojett

PreviousNext

Return to Asian