Currently Madly in Lust with These Things.

Re: Currently Madly in Lust with These Things.

Postby thewalrus » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:10 am

Fuck. I want an S2000 so bad right now. Saw one drive by today when I was running some errands in the MG. Fantastic car. My wife's given me essentially car-cart-blanche (within fiscal reason). So I'm doing some more thinking… at some point (kids), I'm sure this golden age will end.
thewalrus

Postby JaysonAych » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:58 am

BUY ALL THE CARS
Attachments
x-all-the-things-template.png
x-all-the-things-template.png (99.72 KiB) Viewed 8459 times
JaysonAych

Postby ryguy79 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:38 am

SBF wrote:
ConeDodger wrote:Why does a car have to be fast in a straight line to be fun?

You're right, it doesn't have to. That's why I like the Corvair. It's not fast, but it handles awesome.

Its unsafe at any speed.
ryguy79

Postby Turbojett » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:09 am

thewalrus wrote:
Honor wrote:Nobody said we all have to agree on our car preferences. And its not like im talking about a drag car here. Corvettes, Evos, WRXs all handle well and theyre fast too.

There's still a difference between good handling, and light weight, flickable fun. A Miata has it. I imagine the BRZ does, too. Other cars don't have it - even though they handle really well.

seriously. Corvettes are exceptional handlers now, but even so, I imagine, if you try to flick a Vette, you're gonna have a bad time.
Stoplights are communist!
Keep on Trollin'
Turbojett

Postby Turbojett » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:11 am

sorry, Jay totally got me into meme mode.
Keep on Trollin'
Turbojett

Postby Turbojett » Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:14 am

ryguy79 wrote:
SBF wrote:
ConeDodger wrote:Why does a car have to be fast in a straight line to be fun?

You're right, it doesn't have to. That's why I like the Corvair. It's not fast, but it handles awesome.

Its unsafe at any speed.

it ain't unsafe, it's a Chevy. :lol:

Anyway, I'da thought being RR they'd be kinda tailhappy.
Keep on Trollin'
Turbojett

Postby SBF » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:14 pm

Talon wrote:The BRZ would be a great track whore. But you'd be competing with Miatas and stock Hondas more than S2s, Evos, and 370Zs.

Thats the target demographic for the BRZ/FRS though. It's a perfect car for someone who wants a roof instead of a roadster and in all honesty, I think that was the target for Toyota. But on that note, I think Toyota is fully aware of the aftermarket and has left the power adders to other companies for now. When they reach their sales figures they want, then they will probably start making more powerful models.
SBF

Postby Honor » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:09 pm

thewalrus wrote:Fuck. I want an S2000 so bad right now. Saw one drive by today when I was running some errands in the MG. Fantastic car. My wife's given me essentially car-cart-blanche (within fiscal reason). So I'm doing some more thinking… at some point (kids), I'm sure this golden age will end.

Here we go again...
Honor

Postby Turbojett » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:36 pm

SBF wrote: I think Toyota is fully aware of the aftermarket and has left the power adders to other companies for now. When they reach their sales figures they want, then they will probably start making more powerful models.

This.

...and Wally, as awesome as they are, if you value your life, an S2K might not be for you...
Keep on Trollin'
Turbojett

Postby Talon » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:10 pm

I'd drive an S2 in a heartbeat. Especially around the track...
Talon

Postby thewalrus » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:18 pm

Turbojett wrote:
SBF wrote: I think Toyota is fully aware of the aftermarket and has left the power adders to other companies for now. When they reach their sales figures they want, then they will probably start making more powerful models.

This.

...and Wally, as awesome as they are, if you value your life, an S2K might not be for you...

Why? I see a number of them on the street. I'm guessing I'm at least as good at driving as the average S2K driver. Push it to the limit, of course, and it'll bite you. But the same thing could be said of any car.
thewalrus

Postby thewalrus » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:21 pm

Honor wrote:
thewalrus wrote:Fuck. I want an S2000 so bad right now. Saw one drive by today when I was running some errands in the MG. Fantastic car. My wife's given me essentially car-cart-blanche (within fiscal reason). So I'm doing some more thinking… at some point (kids), I'm sure this golden age will end.

Here we go again...

Damn straight. And why not? Saw a Boxster drive by on my run this morning. Made me think...
thewalrus

Postby Honor » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:49 pm

thewalrus wrote:
Honor wrote:

Here we go again...

Damn straight. And why not? Saw a Boxster drive by on my run this morning. Made me think...

Keep this up and you will be in the record books... :lol:

This smiley selection sucks. Cmon guys.
Honor

Postby Honor » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:51 pm

I hear that S2ks dont make the best DDs because of the lack of ooomph down low. People say you have to drive them like you hate them to get them to actually move.
Honor

Postby Talon » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:04 pm

Honor wrote:I hear that S2ks dont make the best DDs because of the lack of ooomph down low. People say you have to drive them like you hate them to get them to actually move.

They aren't that bad. I drove Stan McKay's around for a little bit. Yes, you have to drive them at the higher RPMs for max performance, but that's true of all Hondas... my RSX is the same way. But they've got plenty of power to dd around. I bet the torque curve of an S2 is better than Corolla and there are only a million of those around.
Talon

Postby Turbojett » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:28 pm

thewalrus wrote:
Turbojett wrote:

This.

Why? I see a number of them on the street. I'm guessing I'm at least as good at driving as the average S2K driver. Push it to the limit, of course, and it'll bite you. But the same thing could be said of any car.

true, but they bite very hard; they're notorious for being twitchy handfuls near the limit. And from everything I've seen, they have an affinity for trees and telephone poles. They certainly aren't Miatas, dude. I mean I'd love to flog the hell out of one on a track with some good runoff, but man, on the street, in the rain, I'd feel like I was taking my life into my own hands.

now that Boxster on the other hand...
Keep on Trollin'
Turbojett

Postby thewalrus » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:03 pm

Honor wrote:I hear that S2ks dont make the best DDs because of the lack of ooomph down low. People say you have to drive them like you hate them to get them to actually move.

I think it'd be an easy daily driver. You don't need to be driving at 10/10ths all the time. And you don't need oomph when you're driving a roadster around casually. It's perfectly enjoyable just to have the top down.
thewalrus

Postby thewalrus » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:16 pm

Turbojett wrote:
thewalrus wrote:

true, but they bite very hard; they're notorious for being twitchy handfuls near the limit. And from everything I've seen, they have an affinity for trees and telephone poles. They certainly aren't Miatas, dude. I mean I'd love to flog the hell out of one on a track with some good runoff, but man, on the street, in the rain, I'd feel like I was taking my life into my own hands.

now that Boxster on the other hand...

Why would you be driving an S2000 at the limit on the street, in the rain? I think I'd prefer the Boxster anyway, just for the luggage space.
thewalrus

Postby thewalrus » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:18 pm

Man, you guys have kind of gotten lame.

"You have to rev the engine too much."

"What about safety?!"
thewalrus

Postby Talon » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:02 am

thewalrus wrote:Man, you guys have kind of gotten lame.

"You have to rev the engine too much."

"What about safety?!"

Seriously. The S2 is a cool little car and I'd drive one on the street or track any day. You don't need to drive it like you stole it to get to work in the morning.
Talon

PreviousNext

Return to Asian