What do you all think of 03-08 Hyundai Tiburons?

Re: What do you all think of 03-08 Hyundai Tiburons?

Postby Honor » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:15 am

thewalrus wrote:
Honor wrote:
A RWD roadster is about the worst daily driver imaginable. Plus they're too tiny for a 6'3 guy like me. And besides, let's be honest here. Stock miatas are really slow. At least the first generation. Not that a Tiburon is fast, but it's faster than a Miata. I'm sure it's not as nimble as a Miata but it's no Crown Vic either.

1991 Mazda Miata Compare Car 0-60 mph 9.0 | Quarter mile 16.5

2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT Compare Car 0-60 mph 7.0 | Quarter mile 15.4


FOr some reason I thought it would be his second car. Agree that a Miata is no good as an only car. Though the only reason it's not good as an only car is because of how small it is. But it's hardly the "worst daily driver imaginable". There are plenty of RWD roadsters being used up here on a daily basis - even in the winter.

But - it is a better performance car than the Tiburon. We've had this debate enough to all know that 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are a fraction of what's important.


Well I mean honestly, what would be a more impractical everyday car than a RWD roadster? Not so good in bad weather, no seats for more than one passenger, not much cargo room, etc. etc. The only thing that would be more impractical would be a motorcycle or a supercar.

And as far as what's important, that's all a matter of opinion, honestly. Someone who drives on mostly highways and other straight-ish roads is probably going to care more about the power/acceleration portion of the performance spectrum than someone who drives on alot of windy roads. I got a WRX because it has a nice blend of everything.
User avatar
Honor
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:32 pm

Re: What do you all think of 03-08 Hyundai Tiburons?

Postby Arthur Dent » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:49 pm

What about a JDM car? A Nissan Silva might do nicely.
User avatar
Arthur Dent
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:50 pm

Re: What do you all think of 03-08 Hyundai Tiburons?

Postby thewalrus » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:07 pm

Honor wrote:I hear lots of horror stories about Volkswagens that's pretty much why I stay away from them


I think they're largely exaggerated, honestly. I've owned two VWs and had no problems with either. Granted the GTI was only for a year and a half. But the TDI has been fantastic - and from what I can see online you can't buy one with less than 300 000 km on it. My wife owned a Golf for 4 years with no problems, and my parents have had 4 VWs in their lives, and all of them have been at least averagely reliable. The worst being the 92 Eurovan camper we had. But it made up for it in sheer fun. And it still wasn't horrible.

In all honesty, the Honda CR-Z I owned back in 2010 / 2011 was probably the least reliable car I owned - actually started less regularly than my MGB.
User avatar
thewalrus
 
Posts: 580
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:05 pm

Re: What do you all think of 03-08 Hyundai Tiburons?

Postby thewalrus » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:11 pm

Honor wrote:
thewalrus wrote:
Honor wrote:
A RWD roadster is about the worst daily driver imaginable. Plus they're too tiny for a 6'3 guy like me. And besides, let's be honest here. Stock miatas are really slow. At least the first generation. Not that a Tiburon is fast, but it's faster than a Miata. I'm sure it's not as nimble as a Miata but it's no Crown Vic either.

1991 Mazda Miata Compare Car 0-60 mph 9.0 | Quarter mile 16.5

2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT Compare Car 0-60 mph 7.0 | Quarter mile 15.4


FOr some reason I thought it would be his second car. Agree that a Miata is no good as an only car. Though the only reason it's not good as an only car is because of how small it is. But it's hardly the "worst daily driver imaginable". There are plenty of RWD roadsters being used up here on a daily basis - even in the winter.

But - it is a better performance car than the Tiburon. We've had this debate enough to all know that 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are a fraction of what's important.


Well I mean honestly, what would be a more impractical everyday car than a RWD roadster? Not so good in bad weather, no seats for more than one passenger, not much cargo room, etc. etc. The only thing that would be more impractical would be a motorcycle or a supercar.

And as far as what's important, that's all a matter of opinion, honestly. Someone who drives on mostly highways and other straight-ish roads is probably going to care more about the power/acceleration portion of the performance spectrum than someone who drives on alot of windy roads. I got a WRX because it has a nice blend of everything.


Well the problem is that when you say 'worst daily driver imaginable' you're assuming some things about his needs. For a lot of people, a RWD roadster might be just fine - single guy, no equipment intensive hobbies, no desire to take long road trips. I have a friend who was like that. Daily drove a Miata for years in Edmonton with no impacts on his lifestyle.

Heck, when I was in the summer of Gabe, a Miata would have been an awesome daily driver - enough room for my diving and photography. And I didn't have any additional needs for seating. Now it wouldn't work at all, of course.
User avatar
thewalrus
 
Posts: 580
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:05 pm

Re: What do you all think of 03-08 Hyundai Tiburons?

Postby Turbojett » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:45 pm

Honor wrote:Cobalt SS, eh fast but still a cobalt / cavalier even in my eyes

hey hey hey hey hey hey heeeey...don't hate on 'em, I've never had any problems with mine that weren't minor repairs that needed to be done eventually. Recall fiasco aside, she's been pretty good to me. Mine's not an SS though, it's the barely-gets-out-of-its-own-way model.

don't know if I'd rock a Tiburon. They were alright back in the day, and that generation is the only one with considering. And they were pretty good for an early-mid-2000's car from what I hear, but they are kinda teenage girl-ish. Not sure that I'd consider a Celica for the same reason.

If you want something similar to your old Shelby Daytona, have you considered a Dodge Stealth? I know they can be had with turbocharging and AWD.
I don't know how good those are on the reliability front, but they're based off of the Mitsubishi 3000GT, and I still see a few of those around every so often in pretty good shape; at least as much as you would expect from a low-isn volume mid-90's sports car.
Stoplights are communist!
Keep on Trollin'
Image
User avatar
Turbojett
 
Posts: 292
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:06 pm

Re: What do you all think of 03-08 Hyundai Tiburons?

Postby Les / Vipers Rule » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:14 pm

Dodge Stealth's are pretty hard to find up here. Any good ones are still pricey, old,tired ones may be cheap but again are old and tired. Though these are cars that are still worth looking at.
The worst mass murderers are women, they murder the unborn in millions per year and are the worst killers of children. Both points here are facts.

The global unholy alliance,Communism, Islam and the imposter Pope of the corrupted Catholic Church.
User avatar
Les / Vipers Rule
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:55 pm

Re: What do you all think of 03-08 Hyundai Tiburons?

Postby Arthur Dent » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:32 pm

Les / Vipers Rule wrote:Dodge Stealth's are pretty hard to find up here. Any good ones are still pricey, old,tired ones may be cheap but again are old and tired. Though these are cars that are still worth looking at.

They are also a bit of nightmare to work on. There is a reason that so few are around now.

Image
User avatar
Arthur Dent
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:50 pm

Re: What do you all think of 03-08 Hyundai Tiburons?

Postby Les / Vipers Rule » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:15 pm

Arthur Dent wrote:
Les / Vipers Rule wrote:Dodge Stealth's are pretty hard to find up here. Any good ones are still pricey, old,tired ones may be cheap but again are old and tired. Though these are cars that are still worth looking at.

They are also a bit of nightmare to work on. There is a reason that so few are around now.

Image


Yeah, they look like they are so. They are cool looking and have great driver's cockpit, full gauges and all. RT and RT turbo especially are cool lookers.

What I liked about my Daytona Shelby Z with its 2.2 L. turbo II was that the engine was so easy to maintain and work on if need be. I never had too F'bombs come from my mouth when I did maintenance or deeper work on it.

TOUGH LITTLE SUCKER OF AN ENGINE! Maybe not the most advanced mule made but dollar for dollar with the turbo a kick butt engine.
The worst mass murderers are women, they murder the unborn in millions per year and are the worst killers of children. Both points here are facts.

The global unholy alliance,Communism, Islam and the imposter Pope of the corrupted Catholic Church.
User avatar
Les / Vipers Rule
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:55 pm

Re: What do you all think of 03-08 Hyundai Tiburons?

Postby Arthur Dent » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:38 pm

The Daytonas and related K-cars, Lebarons, etc were super easy to work on - the fours anyway. Lots more engine bay room with the four than the V6 models. Very reasonably laid out.
User avatar
Arthur Dent
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:50 pm

Re: What do you all think of 03-08 Hyundai Tiburons?

Postby Les / Vipers Rule » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:07 pm

Arthur Dent wrote:The Daytonas and related K-cars, Lebarons, etc were super easy to work on - the fours anyway. Lots more engine bay room with the four than the V6 models. Very reasonably laid out.


Yep, Chryco got a lot out of a relatively cheap and sedate mule. For an engine NEVER designed for turbo charging to get 175bhp with Turbo II and Turbo IV versions and 210lbs/ft torque at only 2400 rpm was quite amazing, given it started as a 90+ bhp mule.
The worst mass murderers are women, they murder the unborn in millions per year and are the worst killers of children. Both points here are facts.

The global unholy alliance,Communism, Islam and the imposter Pope of the corrupted Catholic Church.
User avatar
Les / Vipers Rule
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:55 pm

Re: What do you all think of 03-08 Hyundai Tiburons?

Postby Talon » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:08 pm

Honor wrote:
Talon wrote:Acura RSX-S, Celica GT-S, Nissan Sentra SE-R (turbo), Cobalt SS, just to name a few.

I'd take any of those over a Tib.


RSX-S, yeah definitely a great car but the ones that aren't beat to shit are pretty pricey
Celica GT-S same deal
Sentra SE-R, heard they were pieces of junk
Cobalt SS, eh fast but still a cobalt / cavalier even in my eyes


Which one of the cars I mentioned would you rather have a Tiburon over?

For me:

RSXS
SER/Cobalt
Celi
Tib.
User avatar
Talon
 
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:29 pm

Re: What do you all think of 03-08 Hyundai Tiburons?

Postby Talon » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:13 pm

Honor wrote:
thewalrus wrote:
Talon wrote:Acura RSX-S, Celica GT-S, Nissan Sentra SE-R (turbo), Cobalt SS, just to name a few.

I'd take any of those over a Tib.


Honda Civic Si, too. And the Honda Civic SiR Hatchback (I think that's what it was called, in Canada) from the early 2000s or so (if you can get over the penis shifter).

Definitely take a mk III or IV GTI over a Tib too - though those may be a bit pricier.

Image


Same deal with that generation Si. Pretty pricey (all hondas are) and they're not very quick either. RSXS is definitely quicker. And I hate that shifter they have.

The thing that interests me the most Honda-wise for cheap though is like a 2000-2001 Prelude Type SH. That's a possibility for me too if I can find a good one.

Image


I never liked the egg shaped Si. Way underpowered at 160hp. And like most Hondas you have to get to 7500rpm to even get that. The RSXS came along and was the end of the Civic Si... then the Si came back and was the death of the RSX.

I always liked those Preludes. I remember looking for one at one point but all the SH models were either riced out or super high miles.
User avatar
Talon
 
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:29 pm

Re: What do you all think of 03-08 Hyundai Tiburons?

Postby Les / Vipers Rule » Fri May 01, 2015 1:15 am

What's all your thoughts on say 2000-2004 Mustangs with V-6? 5 speeds of course.

I know they only rate at about 190-195 bhp, but they are RWD. They still look like any other Mustang and yes they have full gauges. Speedo, Tach, Gas, Temp, Volts and Oil.
The worst mass murderers are women, they murder the unborn in millions per year and are the worst killers of children. Both points here are facts.

The global unholy alliance,Communism, Islam and the imposter Pope of the corrupted Catholic Church.
User avatar
Les / Vipers Rule
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:55 pm

Re: What do you all think of 03-08 Hyundai Tiburons?

Postby thewalrus » Fri May 01, 2015 4:28 am

Les / Vipers Rule wrote:What's all your thoughts on say 2000-2004 Mustangs with V-6? 5 speeds of course.

I know they only rate at about 190-195 bhp, but they are RWD. They still look like any other Mustang and yes they have full gauges. Speedo, Tach, Gas, Temp, Volts and Oil.


I'd definitely take one. Never driven one, but been driven in one - felt like a decently sporty car. I think a person could have quite a bit of fun in one. I would probably even consider a convertible. Sure you lose some chassis stiffness, but I think the open air cruising would be worth it.
User avatar
thewalrus
 
Posts: 580
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:05 pm

Re: What do you all think of 03-08 Hyundai Tiburons?

Postby Les / Vipers Rule » Fri May 01, 2015 8:33 am

thewalrus wrote:
Les / Vipers Rule wrote:What's all your thoughts on say 2000-2004 Mustangs with V-6? 5 speeds of course.

I know they only rate at about 190-195 bhp, but they are RWD. They still look like any other Mustang and yes they have full gauges. Speedo, Tach, Gas, Temp, Volts and Oil.


I'd definitely take one. Never driven one, but been driven in one - felt like a decently sporty car. I think a person could have quite a bit of fun in one. I would probably even consider a convertible. Sure you lose some chassis stiffness, but I think the open air cruising would be worth it.



Yeah I agree, I've never owned one. Back in the day my wife and I almost bought a blue 1988 LX 5.0 coupe. It was a blast to test drive.

Even though V-6 Stangs do not get the respect of V-8's they do have near 200 hp in the 1999-2004 era. Considering the other cars I've brought up here none having 200 ponies the RWD stylish Mustang with 5 speed is as you said probably still a fun sporty car. I've looked online at some and will probably keep it in mind if/when I decide to buy another or more likely sell the Elantra and replace it with another car.

I want a cool, sporty, zesty, and relatively quick and fast car. I really have come to recall fondly why I kept my Daytona Shelby Z for 14 years. When you have a car you love you generally want to keep it. I regret selling my Shelby as I got caught up in just making a change. The Elantra is a sharp looking, fairly quick, good to me car and I may keep it a while longer. When it's all spiffy clean it looks good but I just do not have the feeling over it as I did my Daytona Shelby.
The worst mass murderers are women, they murder the unborn in millions per year and are the worst killers of children. Both points here are facts.

The global unholy alliance,Communism, Islam and the imposter Pope of the corrupted Catholic Church.
User avatar
Les / Vipers Rule
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:55 pm

Re: What do you all think of 03-08 Hyundai Tiburons?

Postby Swerve » Fri May 01, 2015 11:18 am

Honor wrote:
thewalrus wrote:
Honor wrote:
A RWD roadster is about the worst daily driver imaginable. Plus they're too tiny for a 6'3 guy like me. And besides, let's be honest here. Stock miatas are really slow. At least the first generation. Not that a Tiburon is fast, but it's faster than a Miata. I'm sure it's not as nimble as a Miata but it's no Crown Vic either.

1991 Mazda Miata Compare Car 0-60 mph 9.0 | Quarter mile 16.5

2004 Hyundai Tiburon GT Compare Car 0-60 mph 7.0 | Quarter mile 15.4


FOr some reason I thought it would be his second car. Agree that a Miata is no good as an only car. Though the only reason it's not good as an only car is because of how small it is. But it's hardly the "worst daily driver imaginable". There are plenty of RWD roadsters being used up here on a daily basis - even in the winter.

But - it is a better performance car than the Tiburon. We've had this debate enough to all know that 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are a fraction of what's important.


Well I mean honestly, what would be a more impractical everyday car than a RWD roadster? Not so good in bad weather, no seats for more than one passenger, not much cargo room, etc. etc. The only thing that would be more impractical would be a motorcycle or a supercar.

And as far as what's important, that's all a matter of opinion, honestly. Someone who drives on mostly highways and other straight-ish roads is probably going to care more about the power/acceleration portion of the performance spectrum than someone who drives on alot of windy roads. I got a WRX because it has a nice blend of everything.


My last MR2 was probably the best daily driver imaginable. Cheap to run, loads of power, nimble and a small enough footprint that you could quickly zip into any available space. The roof did leak though...
Swerve
 
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:43 am

Re: What do you all think of 03-08 Hyundai Tiburons?

Postby Arthur Dent » Fri May 01, 2015 1:58 pm

Les / Vipers Rule wrote:What's all your thoughts on say 2000-2004 Mustangs with V-6? 5 speeds of course.

I know they only rate at about 190-195 bhp, but they are RWD. They still look like any other Mustang and yes they have full gauges. Speedo, Tach, Gas, Temp, Volts and Oil.


The earlier ones had head gasket issues so check those I'd say its a decent bet.
User avatar
Arthur Dent
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:50 pm

Re: What do you all think of 03-08 Hyundai Tiburons?

Postby Honor » Fri May 01, 2015 3:22 pm

talon I can't quote you anymore because it won't let me go past three but those egg shaped si's were about on par with the base rsx. 160hp vs 155hp and similiar weight. unacceptable for an SI model to be matched by a base rsx.
User avatar
Honor
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:32 pm

Re: What do you all think of 03-08 Hyundai Tiburons?

Postby ryguy79 » Fri May 01, 2015 9:34 pm

Test drove one. V6 with manual. It wasn't fun. Felt way slower than I expected.
User avatar
ryguy79
 
Posts: 301
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:33 pm

Re: What do you all think of 03-08 Hyundai Tiburons?

Postby ryguy79 » Fri May 01, 2015 9:44 pm

Les / Vipers Rule wrote:What's all your thoughts on say 2000-2004 Mustangs with V-6? 5 speeds of course.

I know they only rate at about 190-195 bhp, but they are RWD. They still look like any other Mustang and yes they have full gauges. Speedo, Tach, Gas, Temp, Volts and Oil.


You'd be an idiot to buy one, GTs of that era are cheap now, and WAY more fun.
User avatar
ryguy79
 
Posts: 301
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:33 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Asian

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron