Any readers here? Check out my ebook!

General Topics

Any readers here? Check out my ebook!

Postby sombrio » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:43 pm

Anyone like fantasy / speculative fiction?

An odd place for literary self-promotion, to be sure, but if you'll forgive me, I self-published my first ebook on Amazon the other day. Check it out! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KD15FFA

It's a fantasy short story, the first installment of three that will eventually make up a novella, and in my totally unbiased opinion it's a great value at 99 cents for 30-60 minutes of entertainment. But really I just want to get the word out to as many people as possible. If you want a free copy, let me know and I'll email it to you in exchange for your posting an honest review.

I know what you're thinking, yeah, yeah, self-published books, but I've put a ton of work into these stories and the quality and value is something I'm honestly very proud of. I truly believe this is something a lot of people will enjoy.

More to come later this month. Cheers!
sombrio

Re: Any readers here? Check out my ebook!

Postby Swerve » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:51 pm

Sounds pretty terrible but I'll send the link to a coworker and another friend who might be into it.
Incidently, if you want inspiration for place names, visit Basque country in northern Spain. Straight out of Harry Potter...
Swerve

Postby sombrio » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:29 pm

Swerve wrote:Sounds pretty terrible but I'll send the link to a coworker and another friend who might be into it.
Incidently, if you want inspiration for place names, visit Basque country in northern Spain. Straight out of Harry Potter...

Well, thanks for being honest. :mrgreen:

Yeah, I know what you mean about the Basque names. I checked out a book that had different names for characters broken down by culture (Arthurian legend, African, Korean, Roman, medieval German, etc.) and it had a Basque section and those were by far the most alien of them all. I just looked it up and their version of the name Dominic is Txomin. Fun!
sombrio

Postby thewalrus » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:25 pm

I'll have to check this out. Short stories are a great way to pass the time as I rue my existence in the legal field.
thewalrus

Postby the_edge » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:14 am

sombrio wrote:Anyone like fantasy / speculative fiction?

An odd place for literary self-promotion, to be sure, but if you'll forgive me, I self-published my first ebook on Amazon the other day. Check it out! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KD15FFA

It's a fantasy short story, the first installment of three that will eventually make up a novella, and in my totally unbiased opinion it's a great value at 99 cents for 30-60 minutes of entertainment. But really I just want to get the word out to as many people as possible. If you want a free copy, let me know and I'll email it to you in exchange for your posting an honest review.

I know what you're thinking, yeah, yeah, self-published books, but I've put a ton of work into these stories and the quality and value is something I'm honestly very proud of. I truly believe this is something a lot of people will enjoy.

Sounds like a book I'd not like but I'll buy it to support a fellow AF man :CheersSMiley:

When did you self-publish it? Was it hard to get amazon to carry it? And... do you think you'll make good money out of it? It's funny how things work, I've been thinking about self publishing something myself....
the_edge

Postby the_edge » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:15 am

It'd be awesome to hear that this book made you rich BTW sombrio :D
the_edge

Postby sombrio » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:51 pm

the_edge wrote:
sombrio wrote:Anyone like fantasy / speculative fiction?

Sounds like a book I'd not like but I'll buy it to support a fellow AF man :CheersSMiley:

When did you self-publish it? Was it hard to get amazon to carry it? And... do you think you'll make good money out of it? It's funny how things work, I've been thinking about self publishing something myself....

Haha thanks man!

There's 2 of 3 currently on there and I've published them over the past month-ish. I'm rewriting the third part now and it will be up... soon.

Not to be too self-effacing, but anyone can self-publish basically anything on Amazon. There isn't a selection process or anything like that. They have some ebooks that they feature (Kindle Select, I think?) that I applied to be included in but haven't heard back yet (it's supposed to take several weeks).

I would say go for it. There's really no reason not to. Just don't expect to make much (any) money off something without extensive promotional efforts. Right now I just want to get a few titles up on Amazon and then I'll try doing more self-promotion. Makes no sense to spend my days striving for publicity when I have two 99 cent short stories on there. ;)

I bet if you can get traditionally published it also helps with self-publishing. But the writing comes first...
sombrio

Return to General Banter