modern transam?

General Topics

modern transam?

Postby the_edge » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:19 pm

What's today's version of the firebird transam?

In the 90's it was pretty much a "poor man's corvette" with a backsteat. It was sportier, more wedy/swoopy than the camaro, it was almost like a camaro masquerading as a corvette.

Is there a similar car in this day and age?
the_edge
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:09 am

Re: modern transam?

Postby thewalrus » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:30 am

I think the Ford GT350 could qualify. It's a hyper performer that is hot on the heels of a Corvette. Rare. But still accessible to the average buyer.
User avatar
thewalrus
 
Posts: 579
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:05 pm

Re: modern transam?

Postby the_edge » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:49 pm

thewalrus wrote:I think the Ford GT350 could qualify. It's a hyper performer that is hot on the heels of a Corvette. Rare. But still accessible to the average buyer.



:O

How much do those go for?
the_edge
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:09 am

Re: modern transam?

Postby Turbojett » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:40 am

I think the closest thing we've had in recent years was the Solstice GXP coupe. Yeah, yeah I know, it's been 7 years since they stopped making them, and they have half the engine. The newest Camaro might qualify though .
Stoplights are communist!
Keep on Trollin'
Image
User avatar
Turbojett
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:06 pm

Re: modern transam?

Postby Talon » Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:35 pm

As much as I hate to say it, the V6 Camaro/Mustang are pretty quick. Hell, I saw an article in R&T that the Camaro 4 cyl turbo does 0-60 in 5.5 seconds. That's damn respectable.
User avatar
Talon
 
Posts: 327
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:29 pm

Re: modern transam?

Postby Turbojett » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:25 am

It kind of impressive that the V6 versions of muscle cars now have more power/are faster than the V8 versions of ten or fifteen years ago--cars we thought were pretty fast back in the day are getting eclipsed by the "slow" base models.
Stoplights are communist!
Keep on Trollin'
Image
User avatar
Turbojett
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:06 pm

Re: modern transam?

Postby thewalrus » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:46 pm

Turbojett wrote:It kind of impressive that the V6 versions of muscle cars now have more power/are faster than the V8 versions of ten or fifteen years ago--cars we thought were pretty fast back in the day are getting eclipsed by the "slow" base models.


Yep. I think it's a very open question as to whether to get a Mustang with the V8 or one with the turbo 4 / V6. It always used to be obvious. But the benefits in fuel economy, and initial purchase price - against the very minimal loss of straight line acceleration is tough to argue against. I suppose if you're emotionally minded you get behind the heritage argument - Mustangs and Camaros are pony cars. Big engines, small cars. They properly need a V8, and alternative engines miss the point (even if they work nearly as well).
User avatar
thewalrus
 
Posts: 579
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:05 pm

Re: modern transam?

Postby tut » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:08 am

Id get the v8 even if it's slower. End of the day it's about having fun, and what brings more of a smile to your face than a lazy v8 rumble. And no turbolag either :)
tut
 
Posts: 158
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:56 am

Re: modern transam?

Postby tut » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:08 am

Id get the v8 even if it's slower. End of the day it's about having fun, and what brings more of a smile to your face than a lazy v8 rumble. And no turbolag either :)
tut
 
Posts: 158
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:56 am

Re: modern transam?

Postby Honor » Sun Aug 21, 2016 11:22 pm

tut wrote:Id get the v8 even if it's slower. End of the day it's about having fun, and what brings more of a smile to your face than a lazy v8 rumble. And no turbolag either :)


I dont think you would ever have to worry about that. The V8s are generally the flagships and will always be the fastest and most powerful in a given lineup. Even if it's not by much. Otherwise there's really no point to making them.
User avatar
Honor
 
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:32 pm

Re: modern transam?

Postby tut » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:04 am

I only brought it up cause the current ford falcon xr6 turbo is actually faster than the v8.....
tut
 
Posts: 158
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:56 am

Re: modern transam?

Postby thewalrus » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:13 pm

Honor wrote:
tut wrote:Id get the v8 even if it's slower. End of the day it's about having fun, and what brings more of a smile to your face than a lazy v8 rumble. And no turbolag either :)


I dont think you would ever have to worry about that. The V8s are generally the flagships and will always be the fastest and most powerful in a given lineup. Even if it's not by much. Otherwise there's really no point to making them.



Well except for feel, and sound, and the other intangibles like heritage and history. Honestly, V8s and other big-displacement engines are living on borrowed time. What these companies seem to be able to do with I4s, and hybrid drives is pretty incredibile. I think Volvo is moving towards all 4s and 6s with some novel hybrid drivetrain technology incorporated. No more v8s. And they have to move some big vehicles. Same thing with Mazda, the new CX9 is only going to have a 4. And that's almost a full size SUV. And apparently it performs perfectly well.

Kind of crazy to see how much the auto industry has changed since AF was founded in 2001.
User avatar
thewalrus
 
Posts: 579
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:05 pm

Re: modern transam?

Postby Swerve » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:57 pm

thewalrus wrote:
Honor wrote:
tut wrote:Id get the v8 even if it's slower. End of the day it's about having fun, and what brings more of a smile to your face than a lazy v8 rumble. And no turbolag either :)


I dont think you would ever have to worry about that. The V8s are generally the flagships and will always be the fastest and most powerful in a given lineup. Even if it's not by much. Otherwise there's really no point to making them.



Well except for feel, and sound, and the other intangibles like heritage and history. Honestly, V8s and other big-displacement engines are living on borrowed time. What these companies seem to be able to do with I4s, and hybrid drives is pretty incredibile. I think Volvo is moving towards all 4s and 6s with some novel hybrid drivetrain technology incorporated. No more v8s. And they have to move some big vehicles. Same thing with Mazda, the new CX9 is only going to have a 4. And that's almost a full size SUV. And apparently it performs perfectly well.

Kind of crazy to see how much the auto industry has changed since AF was founded in 2001.


All 4s for Volvo.
Swerve
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:43 am

Re: modern transam?

Postby Swerve » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:02 pm

tut wrote:I only brought it up cause the current ford falcon xr6 turbo is actually faster than the v8.....


I'm surprised given the V8 is supercharged. But Honor's comment did also remind me of those models as the original XR6 Turbo of 2003 was definitely quicker and the V8 was bought for sound and cruising.

At least Ford were honest. Before Holden got the LS1 they understated the S/C Commodore 6's power and performance stats because the Aussie V8's figures were pathetic.
Swerve
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:43 am

Re: modern transam?

Postby thewalrus » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:35 pm

Swerve wrote:
All 4s for Volvo.


Really. I guess the point goes doubly then. For some reason I thought the XC90 was keeping a 6 cyl. I've heard great things about Volvo's new drive trains. The hybrid T8 is apparently quite awesome.
User avatar
thewalrus
 
Posts: 579
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:05 pm


Return to General Banter

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron