Some cool CERV III footage

General Topics

Some cool CERV III footage

Postby the_edge » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:27 am

I don't really know what GM was trying to accomplish with the CERV III, why it was badged as a corvette but called CERV III instead, or why they never did anything with it considering it was a finished product, but here's some real cool footage.

I see some strong C4 corvette influences there, it's sort of like a space age C4.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWV6ea7NcW4
the_edge

Re: Some cool CERV III footage

Postby thewalrus » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:23 pm

I'm seeing more than a little NSX in there as well. Cool car. Wish they had built it. Wasn't the Corvette very nearly a mid-engine car for it's C4 generation? I seem to recall that it was a real possibility that GM was going to take that direction with it. Kinda glad they didn't. Corvettes should be Front Engine / RWD. With a V8. And nothing else. Could have / should have sold this as something new though.
thewalrus

Re: Some cool CERV III footage

Postby the_edge » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:25 am

Ok, so I did some research.

This Cerv was sort of a design study to develop a mid engine corvette. It was supposed to pretty much be to the regular corvette what the 959 was to the 911 (except it was never meant to go into production). then they decided the vette should stay front engine.

Fun fact: I read in c&d (or was it r&t?) that the corvette was going to be discontinued after the C4. They told the main corvette guy to stop work, but he decided to not tell his engineers that and continue work on the C5 in secret, and that's the only reason we still have a corvette now :O
the_edge

Return to General Banter