[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Automobile Forum • View topic - Can we talk about carburetor dashpots briefly.

Can we talk about carburetor dashpots briefly.

General Topics

Can we talk about carburetor dashpots briefly.

Postby sombrio » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:16 am

Sorry everyone for making two topics in a row but I have had a few and just remembered I wanted to ask about this. Arthur, if you're around and reading, perhaps you could clarify because your earlier comment suggests you know something about this. :idea:

My carburetor dashpots have been empty since I bought the car. It runs great but has a slight "pop" from the exhaust when letting off the gas abruptly (like when changing gears). I know basically nothing about carburetors. The world has moved on, as Steven King might say. I've never owned a car with one before or worked on them and really I understand nothing except the very basic function and principles. So let's be very basic please.

My question is: If it's running fine, is it at all a problem that the dashpots are empty? What exactly is the purpose of them; is it just to make the engine run "smoother" (because most drivers hate excitement?) or is there any harm being done by this popping and crackling? Ought I fill up my dashpots immediately? And if so what might be the best kind of fluid for it?

I seem to hear a million different opinions about this stuff, so if someone could educate me a little I would much appreciate it.

Thanks, and cheers!
sombrio

Re: Can we talk about carburetor dashpots briefly.

Postby tut » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:45 am

Isn't the pop and crackle just your car running rich? You should be able to adjust your carbs with one of the screws there to make it a tad leaner. It'll run pretty much the same but more economical..

I think..

Dunno about the pots
tut

Postby sombrio » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:43 pm

sombrio

Postby Arthur Dent » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:28 pm

The dashpot will dampen the changes in fuel mixture. Should help with your popping issue. It is supposed to be there so do the right thing and fill it up.
Arthur Dent

Postby sombrio » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:52 pm

sombrio

Return to General Banter