[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Automobile Forum • View topic - We're Getting the Band Back Together

We're Getting the Band Back Together

General Topics

Re: We're Getting the Band Back Together

Postby Talon » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:16 am

Some of my current g-tars, in no particular order.

ESP Explorer. These are no longer made and haven't been for a long time. Since the design is basically identical to the Gibson Explorer, Gibson sued ESP and won. ESP went to Hetfield in the late 80s and said they'd build him a guitar exactly how he wanted it... so he said give me a Gibson Explorer with more aggressive pickups and move the knobs/switch.

This is the top higher of the line ESP version (non LTD), made in Japan where ESP is located. Natural finish, duel EMG 81s. Bought this probably 10 years ago. No idea what it's worth today. If I had to guess, for the right person, probably $2500-$3000... even on the low end way more than twice what I paid for it 10 years ago. If it had a thru neck, probably $3500-$4000. I've never seen another like it.

ESP KH2. Kirk Hammet's signature guitar. It has EMG 81/81 even though Kirk currently uses 81/60 he didn't at the time of the making of this guitar. This is by far the easiest playing guitar I've ever had... and I've owned a Gibson Les Paul and an American made Strat. The action is just insanely good.

ESP LTD Explorer. The LTD versions are the lower end... similar to what Epiphone is to Gibson. Also not made anymore of course. EMG 81/85 combo. I've been meaning to switch out the 85 for a 60 as it's what Hetfiled uses/used but haven't bothered yet. No guitar says Metallica to me more than a black ESP Explorer with EMGs.

ESP LTD M-1000 Snow White edition. Don't let the LTD label fool you, this is a really nice guitar. Honestly I like its looks so much because they're like the exact opposite of the KH2. EMG 81s, through neck, made in Korea.

ESP LTD Snakebyte. Jame Hetfield's signature guitar. Signature guitar with his signature EMG "Het Set" pickups, through neck and ebony fretboard. What else do I need to say?

The Schecter Hellraiser I mentioned earlier. Ebony fretboard, EMG 81/89R, 1000 series FR, yadda yadda. $1100 guitar for $599.

And last but certainly not least, good ol' reliable. My Jackson Kelly Professional. This is my oldest guitar I own. $480 new with a case in the late 90s and it's fantastic. Japanese made, the action is great (better than some guitars costing four figures) and despite the "Jackson" pickups and not Seymours, EMGs, etc, they are mean. Almost as much bite as the EMG 81, which is saying a lot for a passive pickup. I can't believe how good they sound for metal playing. These days, the Japanese made Professional series (not Pro series, which is different) Jacksons are highly sought after.

Talon

Postby thewalrus » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:56 pm

I'm not much of a metal guy, but those guitars look awesome. I hadn't seen the Schecter before, I don't think. Love the look. Kind of gives the impression of a thick fog bank or something. Definitely a very metal feel to it. I can't believe you got that for $600. Definitely looks like a 4 figure guitar - and more in the 2 - 3 thousands than the low 1s.
thewalrus

Postby Talon » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:12 pm

I'd never paid much attention to Schecter before, but they make some sweet guitars. A lot of the 'metal' guitars out there also have a great blues tones (this is completely dependent on the pickups of course, but many neck pickups on metal guitars come with are the EMG 85/60, Seymour Duncan Jazz SH-2N, or something similar). They have a great, deep and full sound... not as much of a twangy SRV, but more deep like an EC. Metal owes a lot to blues as they share a lot of the same scales.

Or, you can go a step further. The EMG 89R pickup in the Schecter, you can play it as is for the deep, fuller stuff, or turn off the humbucker and flip it to the rear (hence the R) coil only of the pickup and get that twangy Strat sound. All you need to do is pull up on the neck volume knob. It's really slick.

BTW, they are on sale again. If you want the color combo I have, it's $1100 but if you don't mind a maple neck, $599.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ ... ric-guitar
Talon

Postby ryguy79 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:18 pm

I still think guitars designed in the 50s and 60s are where its at.

ryguy79

Postby Talon » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:35 am

Fair. They're just so.......... boring.
Talon

Postby ryguy79 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:14 am

ryguy79

Postby thewalrus » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:05 pm

thewalrus

Postby ryguy79 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:40 pm

Last edited by ryguy79 on Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ryguy79

Postby ryguy79 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:43 pm

In short, horses for courses.

Talon likes metal and metal guits. I like classic rock, southern rock, blues, americana, alt-country, country. We each play guitars that suit our tastes.
ryguy79

Postby Talon » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:32 pm

The Explorer and V have been around for a long time and neither were well accepted until I want to say the 70s when rock music started to gain some steam. I think Gibson actually stopped making them for a time period in there. Too pointy for the traditionalists I suppose.

I can respect a Strat for what it is… up until about three years ago, I’ve owned one since I started playing 18 years ago. Mostly for nostalgic reasons. I never played the thing… so I sold it and bought the white ESP. I just wish Fender would offer more options on their mass produced stuff. You want a through neck? No. You want anything except dot fret markers? No. You want a different head stock? No. You want a more aggressive trem system? No. You want 24 frets? No. You want anything but maple or rosewood finger board? No. But, what do I know… the Strat is probably one of, if not the, highest selling guitars of all time.

And, yes, the Strat’s body style is easily the most widely used and utilitarian among various makers, and I think it is attractive, but the ESP/Schecter/Jackson/Ibanez/etc have different hardware and options. Other than the outline of the outside of the body, that’s about where the similarities stop. Hell, both Hammett and Hannemen have signature ESPs with the Strat style body… but again, the similarities stop there. Duel humbuckers, aggressive tremolo system, no pick guard, custom fret inlays, etc, etc, etc.

I also owned a Gib Les Paul Studio. That was a really nice guitar and I wish I had it back. It did everything well. My only beef with it was it was really ass heavy. When I’d throw it over my shoulder it would always want to rotate back on me. Minor complaint for all it did well. Both Hetfield and Zakk Wylde have signature guitars with the LP body shape.

But, like said, different strokes for different folks. EC, SRV, and YM can’t be wrong. But neither can Rhoads, Hetfield, Dime, or Mustaine.

I wasn’t trying to say this is better than that. Comparing a 50s SG to a current Jackson is about as apples to oranges as it gets… just trying to drum up some conversation and I knew that comment would.

Love live the pointy guitars!

Talon

Postby thewalrus » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:41 pm

thewalrus

Postby Talon » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:33 pm

Yea, way different! :lol: One on the bottom looks like a bloated version of the one on the top.
Talon

Postby thewalrus » Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:35 pm

thewalrus

Postby Talon » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:03 pm

Agreed.
Talon

Postby ryguy79 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:05 pm

ryguy79

Postby ryguy79 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:08 pm

Talon, in addition to halting Explorer production for a while, Gibson also stopped making the Les Paul from 61-68, when it was replaced by what's now called the SG, but was still called the Les Paul in 61. Lets just say they don't make the best decisions.
ryguy79

Postby ryguy79 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:13 pm

And you can get metal style Strats from Fender in a sense, since they own Charvel now. You can also get Fender Strats with humbuckers and Floyd Rose trems, but I don't know of any 24 fret versions. I'd never buy a 24 fret guitar so I don't really care.
ryguy79

Postby Talon » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:38 pm

I think Fender owns Jackson as well.

I don't dabble up to the 24th fret very often, but I've found that guitars that have 24 are much easier to access 21 & 22 than guitars that simply have 21 or 22. If you look at the Kirk or Schecter guitars above, the higher frets are much more accessible than the Explorers. The Explorers are downright difficult to get to 22, but I give them a break because in my mind, the Explorer isn't really a soloers, high pitch shredding type of guitar. Maybe that's the old school Metallica thinking in me where James would throw down the heavy riffs on the Exp and Kirk would solo on the V or Strat shape designs. That's where the Kelly comes in as it has an Explorer-esque body with easy access to the higher frets. 22 is a minimum for me.

Oil Herbert of All That Remains has a Jackson (and Ibanez) with 27. But even by his own admission, he only likes it because it makes 24 more accessible. (FWIW, the Warrior style body design is even too pointy for me.)

Talon

Postby ryguy79 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:44 pm

That's way too pointy!

Some guitars are definitely less playable on the highest frets. LP and Tele are not the easiest. Strat is better, SG is good. I've never been able to get along with any 'metal' guitars because I like fat necks. Main reason I sold my SG Standard, couldn't get on with the thinner 60s profile neck Gibson uses on those, but I absolutely love the fatter 50s profile on my Les Paul and SG Jr.

I actually really like the Explorer style, played a Hamer on long term loan for about a year and really liked it.
ryguy79

Postby Turbojett » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:52 am

I like my Strat. That is all.

(I say this as it languishes in a closet. Kill me.)
Keep on Trollin' Image
Turbojett

PreviousNext

Return to General Banter