[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Automobile Forum • View topic - We're Getting the Band Back Together

We're Getting the Band Back Together

General Topics

We're Getting the Band Back Together

Postby thewalrus » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:49 pm

Which is really to say that a couple jackasses and I are going to start jamming again. We did a little back when I was in law school, but that fizzled with jobs and kids and moves to the suburbs and wives and so on. But over a couple beers last night we decided to try and start up again.

Pretty excited by this - I haven't played in a group for almost 8 years now. But it'll be fun to get that going again. Certainly a lot better than the idle plucking away I have been doing at home, by myself.

TIME TO BUY A NEW GUITAR!!
thewalrus

Re: We're Getting the Band Back Together

Postby JaysonAych » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:27 am

When you get some gigs, be sure to post some youtube videos.
JaysonAych

Postby thewalrus » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:57 am

thewalrus

Postby 1300zuk » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:58 pm

Two dudes is a duo, not a band.

Hall and Oates
1300zuk

Postby Talon » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:41 pm

I've been really getting into playing again lately. A few months ago I bought a Presonus audio box and have been recording onto my computer. I've been wirting a lot of different riffs. Other than that I've gotten back to my roots playing a lot of old school Metallica. Their stuff is still so fun to play. I've been recording myself playing over James's and Kirk's guitar parts on some of their songs and making mp3s of it.

I just bought a new guitar, too. Musicians Friend had a sale on a NIB Schecter Hellraiser Extreme for $599. They have an MSRP of $1569 and a street price of $1099. Only the see-through black with ebony fretboard was the $599 price; all other color combos were still $1099. Which was fine by me as it was my favorite.

I don't need another guitar, but it was too good of a deal to pass up. The guitar is pretty loaded: ebony fretboard (my favorite); gothic cross inlays; EMG 81 & EMG 89R (can be used as a humbucker or single coil); 1000 series FR; Grovers; yadda yadda yadda… basically everything you’d expect for an $1100 guitar.

Really sweet guitar! To this day I wonder if they made a mistake with that sale price… a NIB guitar at almost 50% off street price, free shipping too. I almost feel bad about it… almost.

It’s this one here:
http://www.schecterguitars.com/guitars/ ... r-e-detail

That color/neck combo currently on sale again, but for $880:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ ... ric-guitar
Talon

Postby JaysonAych » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:23 am

JaysonAych

Postby ryguy79 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:17 pm

ryguy79

Postby Talon » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:49 pm

I really need to take some good photos of my guitars. Outside, good lighting, etc.
Talon

Postby thewalrus » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:30 pm

thewalrus

Postby ryguy79 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:38 am

Its a great guitar. There are some small nicks in the finish, but only adds character to a 24 year old guitar. I have to force myself to play my others since getting this one. Its a keeper.
ryguy79

Postby thewalrus » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:13 pm

thewalrus

Postby Talon » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:08 pm

I’ve been thinking about getting into the tube world of amps (though I’ve always thought they were overrated given the price delta, especially for metal music). But there are some cool ‘mini heads’ that are plenty powerful enough for a 1x12, 2x12, or even 4x12. I would just want something to run through a Orange, Marshall, Blackstar, etc 1x12…

This Blackstar is high on the list:

Then throw a nice 12” speaker underneath it and still be able to get good, quality tones at lower volumes… which is more important to me than being loud… when playing in the basement… and family around, etc.

Something like this would be Tits McGee, without breaking the bank.

Meh, on the nice to have list. I am actually really happy with some of the kick ass metal tones that come from my Line 6 Spider IV Jam. Plus it has an output for recording so mics not required… which is awesome. Thing is when I do want to crank it up, the sound quality starts to suffer a little. And I still have that Randall Warhead combo, but that’s almost too much unless I’m in the mood.
Last edited by Talon on Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Talon

Postby thewalrus » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:26 pm

Sweet. I'm still running my guitar through the Blues Junior I bought back in 2003 / 2004. Even after a decade it's still going strong.

I used to have a huge thing for the Blues Delux reissue. Still do, honestly. And there's still some thought to expanding a bit, getting a more serious amp down the road, but, honestly, this guy is far more than enough for my talents, right now. Especially since I'm not playing anywhere that needs real power.
thewalrus

Postby ryguy79 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:32 am

ryguy79

Postby ryguy79 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:47 am

ryguy79

Postby ryguy79 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:00 am

ryguy79

Postby thewalrus » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:32 pm

thewalrus

Postby thewalrus » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:35 pm

thewalrus

Postby thewalrus » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:36 pm

Well, this is a fun link... http://www2.fender.com/american-design/

Kinda bummed that Fender doesn't ship to Canada from their online store. Also kind of happy about that - otherwise I'd be quite a bit poorer right now.
thewalrus

Postby Talon » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:13 am

Double post...
Talon

Next

Return to General Banter