[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Automobile Forum • View topic - Kayak People - Ry, Miller, Etc

Kayak People - Ry, Miller, Etc

General Topics

Kayak People - Ry, Miller, Etc

Postby thewalrus » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:46 am

Took the Trak out for it's shakedown run today. Forgot my paddle at home, so I had to buy one the paddle-fest event we were at. Hence the stickers still on there. My wife took the picture from her kayak - an inflatable Innova Swing 1.
Attachments
Kayak-1.jpg
Kayak-1.jpg (40.8 KiB) Viewed 31800 times
thewalrus

Re: Kayak People - Ry, Miller, Etc

Postby ryguy79 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:21 am

Sweet!

Also that is one long boat. My boats are 8'6" and 6'6".
ryguy79

Postby ryguy79 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:34 am

In other kayak news, I bought a river runner/play boat. Have only had it in the ww park so far.

ryguy79

Postby thewalrus » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:28 pm

thewalrus

Postby thewalrus » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:33 pm

thewalrus

Postby ryguy79 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:00 am

Just 2 boats now, but they are my 5th and 6th ww kayaks. I've been through a few. With the exception of my Jackson Karma, I've bought them all used and broken even on them all overall when selling.

Class I water is really flat water, but moving flat water. You could easily paddle it in a walmart kayak.

Class II is where it starts to get fun, but is still pretty simple and low risk. I've not paddled beyond III+, have not been able to justify the higher risks and time it would take to be a class IV boater with young kids. The harder end of class III is plenty of fun in a kayak for me. I was paddling class III in my first season, when I had considerably more free time as I started boating before my daughter was born.

In short, if you're going to get into whitewater, do it before kids.

This was the hardest thing I've done so far, III+ to IV at higher water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY_-yLp9ois
ryguy79

Postby ryguy79 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:02 am

I also did my 2 day swiftwater rescue on that stretch and have purposefully swam most of those rapids. Not so fun, but invaluable.
ryguy79

Postby ryguy79 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:13 am

Now I really want to go boating, but with band stuff this weekend and family in town the next, it'll be at least 2 weeks.

This is class II. Easier and harder ends of the II spectrum IMO. Waves, but straightforward, few to no rocks/holes to avoid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYHL2pxK9ZE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9jV_qwnZEk

Class III from the driver's seat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_miPYY_zX30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z09VslhU174

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMjKVSo9F1w
ryguy79

Postby ryguy79 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:21 am

And this is big water class IV, filmed by a paddling buddy of mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akYj7PxqsMw
ryguy79

Postby thewalrus » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:36 pm

thewalrus

Postby Swerve » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:06 am

Kayaked into the city on Saturday with a group of Turks. One couple were capsized by a helicopter.
Swerve

Postby ryguy79 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:57 pm

Well that was fun

ryguy79

Postby thewalrus » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:12 pm

thewalrus

Postby ryguy79 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:25 am

Class III, pretty straightforward. Run is called The Chutes, for obvious reasons. There's a few of these, but they all end in calm pools. Rest of the run is easy but fun class II.
ryguy79

Return to General Banter