For those of you who haven't seen it:

General Topics

For those of you who haven't seen it:

Postby Turbojett » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:32 am

Forza 6 Trailer
Yes, I still care about video games.
Yes, this game looks awesome.
Yes, I fucking need this game.
Yes, I'm gonna play the shit out of it when it comes out.

...I just need to come into enough disposable income to get an XBone.

Seriously about the only thing from E3 I was excited about. I've started to lose interest in Assassin's Creed after they brought on the suck the last few games. I never had any interest in Fallout or Final Fantasy. BOIII looks nice, but I'm pretty much Call of Duty'd out. Need For Speed looks good, but I have a suspicion it's just another coat of polish on the same old rapidly degenerating turd; plus track day > street race. This is where it's fucking at.
Stoplights are communist!
Keep on Trollin'
Turbojett

Re: For those of you who haven't seen it:

Postby sombrio » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:32 pm

Turbojett wrote:Seriously about the only thing from E3 I was excited about.

But but but... MASS EFFECT!

As far as racing games, I haven't really been following the new stuff but I picked up Grid Autosport last summer and I've enjoyed playing it on and off. The driving physics seem pretty good, and it has a fairly robust damage model that, while not really my thing, at least forces you to try to make clean passes and blocks (while also not ruining your race any time you make contact). They also have races with 20+ cars, which is a lot of fun if you enjoy semi-realistic racing and not just running away with first place every time. The lack of real-life cars and tracks is a little disappointing though. I don't know if I'd spend $50 on it again.

Seriously, the Mass Effect trilogy is awesome and you should all give it a try. It's a classic action-oriented RPG in space (as you go through the games, they kind of slide from a more traditional RPG to a cinematic action shooter, so the series runs the gamut from RPG through shoot-em-up). The games are like $5 each by now, and you can play them again and again and not get tired of them. Probably the best dollar-to-hours-of-entertainment value I've found in the past few years.
sombrio

Postby Arthur Dent » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:04 pm

We have a XBox One (Christmas present for the kids) and I picked up Forza Horizon 2 a while back. Great fun. Not ultra realistic - one can do 200km/h+ through fields. Bloody amazing graphics.

I skipped Forza 5 but am looking forward to 6. Project Cars looks good too.

Arthur Dent

Postby thewalrus » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:25 pm

I'm amazed at the realism in modern computer games. I remember in highschool and early undergrad, when I played a number of the leading edge games, thinking that things really couldn't get any better. Figuring that we'd reached a plateau, beyond which any additional realism was a pipe dream. Boy was I wrong. These new games - for computers or consoles are essentially life like. I don't think they can really get any better from here.
thewalrus

Postby sombrio » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:52 pm

thewalrus wrote:I'm amazed at the realism in modern computer games. I remember in highschool and early undergrad, when I played a number of the leading edge games, thinking that things really couldn't get any better. Figuring that we'd reached a plateau, beyond which any additional realism was a pipe dream. Boy was I wrong. These new games - for computers or consoles are essentially life like. I don't think they can really get any better from here.

The great thing about this is that games stay good for longer now. A game from 2007 or 2010 looks way, way better to me today than a game from 1992 or 1995 looked to me in 2000. Two of the games I've been spending the most time playing recently are from 2007 and 2010 and it really doesn't bother me.

Imagine what happens when we get to a point where graphics in games are just photorealistic, period, and there isn't even any more room for improvement.
sombrio

Postby Talon » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:49 pm

That looks pretty good, but I'm not buying a BOne
Talon

Return to General Banter