[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Automobile Forum • View topic - shitboxrally 2015

shitboxrally 2015

General Topics

shitboxrally 2015

Postby tut » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:07 pm

Hey guys

just to let you guys know, in 2 weeks from now, i'll be heading off on yet another
for those who don't know, it's a cancer council fundraiser event where you drive a sub-1000 aud shitbox car through the australian outback. for safety reasons, it's not a race, and you're divided up into buddy groups, but it's still quite the adventure!
a quick overview of my previous rallies:

2012 rally: team "sub-saharan taxi service"
sbr2012.jpg
sbr2012.jpg (139.58 KiB) Viewed 43151 times

i teamed up with a random person off the internet, who i've never met before, and we drove a 1995 ford festiva from perth to melbourne, to start the rally, and, after swapping the front hubs over for reco'd ones, as we blew through the original ones on the drive over, drove it on very rough roads (old strzelecki road and stuff) to cairns
that guy and i ended up very annoyed with eachother near the end :P
and apart from wheel bolts snapping and leaving the car, a handful of blown tyres, and rubbing wheels to the guards (fixed with a jack as we didn't pack a hammer. rookie mistake) we didn't have too many issues.
we raised just over 4 grand for the cancer council

2013 rally: team "interbrewsters million"
sbr2013.jpg
sbr2013.jpg (134.6 KiB) Viewed 43151 times

i teamed up with a guy i've met a couple of times, who lives in melbourne, and drove a 1980(ish? not sure of the year) GH mitsubishi sigma wagon (2.6 4cyl 5 speed), and drove it to adelaide to start the rally. annoyingly, we hit a kangaroo on the way over and had to spend all the time we had calculated to visit adelaide fixing up the front end of the car :p looked okay ish enough :p
then we drove from adelaide to perth via ayers rock (uluru) and just straight through dusty dirty sandy roads and muddy tracks. after that we added another bit to our trip and drove said shitbox a bit north, and a bit south and a bit central and back to melbourne. also, this car entered in the 2014 rally too
apart from hitting the kangaroo and some carby tuning the only issue we've had was a tail light lens that fell off on the bumpy roads.. oh, and with a dodgy gearstick surround, well, if you drive through big puddles of mud, you'll have an in car mud fountain :D. and with leaky everything, your feet will freeze in cold rainy nights. also, the heater didn't work :D great fun though!
we raised about 5 grand for the cancer council

2014 rally: team "Waffles"
sbr2014.jpg
sbr2014.jpg (163.94 KiB) Viewed 43151 times

i teamed up with someone i've never met again, who also lives in the melbourne area, a woman even?! it was a huge gamble, as we'd be spending a lot of time in a small ish car doing a fairly stressful trip together.. but that worked out geniously! she's now my missus :D
2013 copilot bought a second sigma for an engine swap to one with less kays, but turns out the 2.0 engine from a 1985 GN sigma doesn't fit in a GH... so we bought the car off him for peanuts.. it did need some work to get a roadworthyness certificate, but we made it happen.
we drove it the scenic route from melbourne to perth for the start of the rally, which was perth to darwin via the gibb river road. amazing route, really! the car, with its 2.0 4 speed wasn't the best for the long distances, but held up great from melbourne to perth. and even from there it did well until we got to broome, where we cooked a headgasket. but after some liquid headgasket formula, we were on our way again. sadly a couple days later, in the rally, after all the rough stuff and river crossings and the likes were don, when we were literally 1 or 2 kays off the dirt, back on the bitumen, we blew a welch plug and our car was pronounced dead. if we had broken down earlier that day, it would've been on a trailer, and it'd've been fixed, but too many other shitboxes broke down before us, and there was no room for us on the trailers anymore :(
we did get a medal for the car breaking down :D
we raised nearly 4200 dollars for the cancer council
Last edited by tut on Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tut

Re: shitboxrally 2015

Postby tut » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:09 pm

so what does any normal thinking person do in a situation like this?
yup, the missus and i have signed up for the 2015 rally! our teamname this year is "shit can't"
sbr2015.jpg
sbr2015.jpg (133.91 KiB) Viewed 43150 times

we've been doing preparations for a while now, we have a 1988 r31 skyline. 3.0 5 speed! with a snorkel :D
the rally will bring us from canberra to townsville via the birdsville track
our skyline has done a handful of shitboxrallies in the past, and has been used as a motorkhana car on several occasions, too..
it has done a touch over 313131km, but we hope it'll last the trip.. and it'll be auctioned off at the finish, with the proceedings going to the cancer council
so far we've raised 2315 dollar, but we really hope to reach at least 4 grand! i've been selling waffles and chocolate truffles, and the missus is selling chocolates, but we really want to try and get as many donations as possible..
so if you're feelin generous, well, donations can be made here :D

https://shitboxrally2015.everydayhero.com/au/shit-cant
tut

Postby tut » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:29 pm

pictures of my first 2 rallies can be found here
http://www.tutter.net/other/oz_roadtrip_2012/
and here
http://www.tutter.net/other/sbr013/

and annoyingly, i don't have any of my last years rally pics online yet :(

but a lot of "official" pics can be found here
http://www.shitboxrally.com.au/gallery
and there's vids too

so yeah, this is part letting you guys know about the shitbox rally, part showing off taht i've done it a couple of times, and part asking/begging for donations :D (which can be given via https://shitboxrally2015.everydayhero.com/au/shit-cant )

Thanks!

Ascona -- who's changed his name to tut for those who hadn't figured it out yet :p
tut

Postby ryguy79 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:58 am

I thought you lived in Europe. Did you move?
ryguy79

Postby ryguy79 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:59 am

Also seems pretty fun.
ryguy79

Postby tut » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:37 am

Nah I still live in europe. This is just my yearly holiday :)

Am looking into moving though, with the missus being Australian it's not easy being worlds apart most of the time
tut

Postby tut » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:38 am

And it's bucketloads of fun! Especially cause it's not a race... It's a fun run sort of thing and nobody takes themselves too seriously :D
tut

Postby Arthur Dent » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:42 pm

That is awesome. Would absolutely love to do it. 8-)
Arthur Dent

Postby thewalrus » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:37 pm

The motto for Victoria is "The Place To Be"?

thewalrus

Postby Talon » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:45 pm

:talon2:
Talon

Postby tut » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:57 am

tut

Postby Swerve » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:05 pm

It's also better than the current one, "stay alert, stay alive". Sounds like we're living in Damascus or something.

Before the motto started changing every couple of years it was "the garden state". Which is strange because no one has ever referred to Victoria that way.
Swerve

Postby JaysonAych » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:54 am

JaysonAych

Postby Swerve » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:30 am

Must have seen the Zach Braff film.
Swerve

Postby tut » Tue May 19, 2015 11:06 pm

Just a small update, we've made it to townsville via the Simpson desert and the birdsville track, and our trusty skyline even climbed little big red sand dune !!

We've made it without too many issues.. We did have a boot hold open mechanism fail, 2 keys broke off in the ignition, rear doors decided that outside door handles are for queers, and the engine thought that running fairly warm was the thing to do.... And we decided to upgrade the rear springs with some australian open official tennis balls, as running over the corrugated gravel roads, well, the rear suspension was having some issues...
Oh and we also had a problem with the uhf before we even left home... If you'd transmit, the engine would either stall or rev limit to 2500rpm.. Turns out these older fuel injected engines are a bit sensitive to antenna placements :p

But we've made it with not too many issues, really!

And we've raised about 4.5 k aud (a few donations still pending)

So now I'm still in straya for about a month, just enjoying a holiday, having a 280zx as a daily driver :)
tut

Postby tut » Tue May 24, 2016 4:46 am

tut

Postby tut » Tue May 24, 2016 5:02 am

The rally itself started pretty harsh from day one, with rough unsealed roads and a very slow car in our group, so we only got into Blackall very late...

Day two we set off to tharhomindah. Which was a super rough drive for 37yo sports car with old, stock tyres and very tyred suspension... Like no dampers left and heaps of sagginess.. And a leaky brake booster that left us with no brakes for the first one or two pumps when driving on dirt...

Overnight it pissed down, so bad that instead of driving to tilpa, we had to change the route to Cobar instead, because of closed roads :(
So a fairly plain bitumen drive...

Very boring drive to Cootamundra too..

And then what set off as a boring drive to Dargo, until the point where we encountered snow and fog and 100-odd km of a goat track... Which wouldn't be "as bad" if at least we had a car with ground clearance and suspension.. Instead of pretty much sitting on bumpstops...

The next day, the drive out of dargo, heading off to port Melbourne was a very similar drive... A very rough start of the day, easy middle of the day, and a stressy end of the day, driving a group of shitboxes through big city traffic... To catch a ferry to Tasmania...

And the last day of the rally, we were tired and sore and enjoyed a neat drive through Tasmanian countryside..

On the way back home after the rally, I accidentally put e10 fuel in the car. It still ran, but rough and leaky injectors leaked more.....

But we got back home, picked up our other car from the workshop where it was after it had snapped an upper control arm... Only to have the handbrake light on permanently and the check engine light to come on and off intermittently...

And the next morning I had hernia surgery :)

And I hardly took any photos this year :/
tut

Postby tut » Tue May 24, 2016 5:08 am

We raised over 4000 dollars for the cancer council

WP_20160508_003.jpg
WP_20160508_003.jpg (1.53 MiB) Viewed 42200 times
WP_20160512_003.jpg
WP_20160512_003.jpg (1.27 MiB) Viewed 42200 times

WP_20160512_001.jpg
WP_20160512_001.jpg (1.3 MiB) Viewed 42200 times
tut