What's with digital speedos making a comeback?

General Topics

Re: What's with digital speedos making a comeback?

Postby tut » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:33 pm

Turbojett wrote:Yup:
Image


Image


based on the senator
Image

which in turn is based on the rekord
Image
tut
 
Posts: 172
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:56 am

Re: What's with digital speedos making a comeback?

Postby ryguy79 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:13 pm

JaysonAych wrote:
That pic's not loading, but I think this is the one you were going for....

Image

As I understand, they were a bitch to work on. Changing one of the plugs required pulling the engine, I think. But they were neat-looking cars.


Yeah, that's it. No idea why that pic won't show up.
User avatar
ryguy79
 
Posts: 304
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:33 pm

Re: What's with digital speedos making a comeback?

Postby Turbojett » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:32 am

tut wrote:
Turbojett wrote:Yup:
Image


Image

honestly, it looks even more like a Celica from that angle.
Stoplights are communist!
Keep on Trollin'
Image
User avatar
Turbojett
 
Posts: 294
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:06 pm

Re: What's with digital speedos making a comeback?

Postby Arthur Dent » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:35 pm

Image

I had a beater LeBaron (K-car) with the digital speedo. I didn't mind it actually.

Image

I still prefer a grouping of round analog gauges from a looks perspective.
User avatar
Arthur Dent
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:50 pm

Re: What's with digital speedos making a comeback?

Postby thewalrus » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:54 pm

Arthur Dent wrote:Image

I had a beater LeBaron (K-car) with the digital speedo. I didn't mind it actually.

Image

I still prefer a grouping of round analog gauges from a looks perspective.


I love how the car actually tells you it's front wheel drive.

Also - that Mercedes looks awesome. What year is it again?
User avatar
thewalrus
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:05 pm

Re: What's with digital speedos making a comeback?

Postby Arthur Dent » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:03 pm

Image

Its a 1970 220D. I sold it a while back to my friend (who I bought it off). I think its a yellow sort of colour now. It was a great classic but I do now know I don't care for an old diesel engine. Pain in the arse to start when cold. Oh and old Mercs can rust like nothing else. I spent months cutting out rust and welding only to have other bits rust while sitting in the garage over the winter.
User avatar
Arthur Dent
 
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:50 pm

Re: What's with digital speedos making a comeback?

Postby thewalrus » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:26 pm

Arthur Dent wrote:Image

Its a 1970 220D. I sold it a while back to my friend (who I bought it off). I think its a yellow sort of colour now. It was a great classic but I do now know I don't care for an old diesel engine. Pain in the arse to start when cold. Oh and old Mercs can rust like nothing else. I spent months cutting out rust and welding only to have other bits rust while sitting in the garage over the winter.


I can imagine. Even our TDI takes a while to warm up when it's really cold. Never any problem starting it - but in the dead of winter you're never really warm running errands around town. Thank God for seat heaters...
User avatar
thewalrus
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:05 pm

Re: What's with digital speedos making a comeback?

Postby Les / Vipers Rule » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:27 pm

Arthur Dent wrote:Image

I had a beater LeBaron (K-car) with the digital speedo. I didn't mind it actually.

Image

I still prefer a grouping of round analog gauges from a looks perspective.



Analogue gauges with full set, Speedo, Tach, Fuel, Oil Pressure, Volts, Temp gauges are what I prefer and feel if done well look best. A proper sized ( not too big) digital screen giving added info if put in well with analogue gauges is ok too

The Lebaron digital gauges you put a pic here on are interesting only because of the nostalgia of such. 80's digital gauges were all over the map by all the manufactures, some looked pretty good, ie: Corvette, Daytona, Lebaron GTS, Nissan 300zx. others looked bad, but today 25+ years later they are retro cool for cheap used cars.
The worst mass murderers are women, they murder the unborn in millions per year and are the worst killers of children. Both points here are facts.

The global unholy alliance,Communism, Islam and the imposter Pope of the corrupted Catholic Church.
User avatar
Les / Vipers Rule
 
Posts: 240
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:55 pm

Re: What's with digital speedos making a comeback?

Postby ryguy79 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:07 am

I was with a college friend in his truck that had a digital dash that worked intermittently when he got a speeding ticket, because we had no clue how fast we were going. Oops.
User avatar
ryguy79
 
Posts: 304
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:33 pm

Re: What's with digital speedos making a comeback?

Postby thewalrus » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:29 am

This thread has made me start thinking about my old CRZ again. It really was kind of a fun car to drive. But only in sport mode - where it's gas mileage was pretty bad. Still - cool little car and a small part of me regrets letting it go.

Image
User avatar
thewalrus
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:05 pm

Re: What's with digital speedos making a comeback?

Postby ryguy79 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:17 am

Damn that is some Captain Jean Luc Picard shit
User avatar
ryguy79
 
Posts: 304
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:33 pm

Re: What's with digital speedos making a comeback?

Postby ryguy79 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:45 am

Also, this thread is not general or banter
User avatar
ryguy79
 
Posts: 304
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:33 pm

Re: What's with digital speedos making a comeback?

Postby Turbojett » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:34 am

O Shit, a certain shaman-hating administrator is gonna come in and do some mullet-busting up in this bitch.
Stoplights are communist!
Keep on Trollin'
Image
User avatar
Turbojett
 
Posts: 294
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:06 pm

Re: What's with digital speedos making a comeback?

Postby the_edge » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:40 pm

thewalrus wrote:
Arthur Dent wrote:Image

I had a beater LeBaron (K-car) with the digital speedo. I didn't mind it actually.

Image

I still prefer a grouping of round analog gauges from a looks perspective.


I love how the car actually tells you it's front wheel drive.

Also - that Mercedes looks awesome. What year is it again?


I actually like the digital speedos that looks like they're trying to be digital speedos, like the ones you've posted, or the GM car.

The ones I don't like are the new lame "look! we're so not a digital speedo! We're totally analog" ones like these ones:

http://static.trustedreviews.com/94/2f5 ... 9-dash.jpg
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/adjyN7FPhRo/maxresdefault.jpg

If you're going to pretend to be an analog speedo, you might as well be one instead :lol:
the_edge
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:09 am

Re: What's with digital speedos making a comeback?

Postby Turbojett » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:24 am

yeah, but I think people are so used to analog gauges that it makes them easier to read at a glance, at least subconsciously (granted, it's probably better to just glance down and see a number). Plus those ones from the 80's look kinda chintzy--much like everything else from the 80's.
I like the way the CRZ's gauges look.
Stoplights are communist!
Keep on Trollin'
Image
User avatar
Turbojett
 
Posts: 294
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:06 pm

Re: What's with digital speedos making a comeback?

Postby the_edge » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:52 pm

Turbojett wrote:yeah, but I think people are so used to analog gauges that it makes them easier to read at a glance, at least subconsciously (granted, it's probably better to just glance down and see a number). Plus those ones from the 80's look kinda chintzy--much like everything else from the 80's.
I like the way the CRZ's gauges look.


Every time I see a car interior design (or even stuff such as mall designs) I get this "they were trying to look like a cockpit/space age" vibe... I would not like it if I were to see it as normal thing, but as a look back to funky stuff from the past it's growing on me :mrgreen:
the_edge
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:09 am

Re: What's with digital speedos making a comeback?

Postby Swerve » Fri May 08, 2015 11:36 pm

thewalrus wrote:This thread has made me start thinking about my old CRZ again. It really was kind of a fun car to drive. But only in sport mode - where it's gas mileage was pretty bad. Still - cool little car and a small part of me regrets letting it go.

Image


Define "bad".
Swerve
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:43 am

Re: What's with digital speedos making a comeback?

Postby Swerve » Fri May 08, 2015 11:44 pm

Also, arguably my least favourite dash was the analogue one in the Xtrail I used earlier this year for a 4,000km round trip. Not because of the dials, but because it was positioned above the centre console, in a cost cutting exercise so blatant they didn't even bother switching the tachometer and fuel/volt gauges around for RHD markets (strange, as Nissans should be originally RHD).
The part that makes it a interesting for this discussion is that Nissan put a second large glovebox opening upward above the steering wheel. In the early 2000s this was simply a cubby thieves wouldn't know existed. But in 2015, it's an awesome spot to install an IPad for GPS, OBDII info etc right in the line of sight
Swerve
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:43 am

Re: What's with digital speedos making a comeback?

Postby the_edge » Mon May 11, 2015 1:26 am

Swerve wrote:Also, arguably my least favourite dash was the analogue one in the Xtrail I used earlier this year for a 4,000km round trip. Not because of the dials, but because it was positioned above the centre console, in a cost cutting exercise so blatant they didn't even bother switching the tachometer and fuel/volt gauges around for RHD markets (strange, as Nissans should be originally RHD).
The part that makes it a interesting for this discussion is that Nissan put a second large glovebox opening upward above the steering wheel. In the early 2000s this was simply a cubby thieves wouldn't know existed. But in 2015, it's an awesome spot to install an IPad for GPS, OBDII info etc right in the line of sight


That's very true :idea:

Talking about cost cutting, WTF Audi? Their newer cars are starting to lack a central screen. Everything is displayed in the driver's side instrument cluster, which I think is a terrible idea. The passenger next to you is sometimes in charge of the music and thinks like that, and this new design negates that possibility.
the_edge
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:09 am

Re: What's with digital speedos making a comeback?

Postby thewalrus » Mon May 11, 2015 2:19 am

Swerve wrote:
thewalrus wrote:This thread has made me start thinking about my old CRZ again. It really was kind of a fun car to drive. But only in sport mode - where it's gas mileage was pretty bad. Still - cool little car and a small part of me regrets letting it go.

Image


Define "bad".


Worse than my Honda Civic… You'd get 4.9 - 5.0 l/100 km on the highway and about 6.0 - 7.0 in the city in eco mode. You'd be hitting 9-10 in the city in performance mode. Not bad… but my TDI gets 6.5 in city without the hybrid drive, and 4.5 - 5 on the highway.
User avatar
thewalrus
 
Posts: 588
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:05 pm

Previous

Return to General Banter

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

cron