[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Automobile Forum • View topic - What's with digital speedos making a comeback?

What's with digital speedos making a comeback?

General Topics

What's with digital speedos making a comeback?

Postby the_edge » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:12 am

Carmakers used to push them in the 80s, and nobody liked them since they looked like shit:

http://www.murrayco.com/Car_Collection/ ... 89_lg4.jpg

http://img.justparts.com/eImage/460b045 ... fd3029.JPG

Eventually, carmakers got the hint, nobody likes that. For example, Caddy went from this:

http://s1125.photobucket.com/user/syclo ... h.jpg.html

to this:

http://files.conceptcarz.com/img/Cadill ... 1-1024.jpg

Now... everyone, even luxury automakers are going back to digital dashboards. Really?

Compare this:

http://mbworld.org/forums/attachments/c ... 0_6371.jpg

to this:

http://mail2web.com/blog/wp-content/upl ... /10024.jpg

I bet it is cheaper :(
the_edge

Re: What's with digital speedos making a comeback?

Postby thewalrus » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:08 am

My old Civic and CRZ had digital speedos. It kind of worked on the CRZ because that car was pretty high tech all around. Seemed sort of right. I never really liked it on the Civic, though.

All things considered I'd much rather have analog, all things considered. Of course, in the MGB it's not really a speedometer. More like a speed-estimator.
thewalrus

Postby the_edge » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:58 pm

Yeah, some cars like the CRZ can somehow pull it off.

So are digital speedos cheaper to produce? I can't fathom why even the likes of Benz would go back to them...
the_edge

Postby Talon » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:18 pm

I’ve never been a fan of digital gauges either. I think they might just be “in” at this point. But I also think that a lot of cars are going to just have touch-screen LCDs on the dash and the driver can configure it anyway he or she wants. Look at the C7 Corvette… the tach/speedo layout changes depending on the mode it’s in. Or look at the Aventador… no room for the speed because of a huge tach! So the speedo is digital at the very bottom.

That said, I’ve always liked analog better. Same with watches. It just looks cleaner. And there’s something about watching a needle going flying, whether it’s the speedo and/or the tach, that just kind of adds to the sense of acceleration.
Talon

Postby the_edge » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:36 pm

I agree.

I think this is all about cost savings. Have you heard of the new Audi TT? It doesn't even have a central screen, now the only screen is the one in front of the driver, where the speedo/tach used to be. Do you want to change the radio station or volume? Only the driver can do it, never mind the fact that passengers do it very often too. :/
the_edge

Postby thewalrus » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:49 pm

thewalrus

Postby tut » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:10 pm

i sort of think it's easier to get more information in front of your nose with a digital speedo than with an analogue one. and the analogue is secretly digital anyway....

and digidash would probably be easier to convert from miles to kph?

what i do strangely like is my scangauge, a little module that reads a lot of information from the OBD and displays it, so i know the exact amount of rpm, ie 2378rpm.. bit it's not the same as seeing a needle flying around..

i don't mind digi-dashes.. feels retro

also, how cool's this?
http://www.doubleyoudigital.nl/imgsold/ ... lmonza.jpg
tut

Postby the_edge » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:59 pm

the_edge

Postby the_edge » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:59 pm

the_edge

Postby JaysonAych » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:17 am

JaysonAych

Postby Turbojett » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:22 am

Keep on Trollin' Image
Turbojett

Postby thewalrus » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:32 am

thewalrus

Postby Turbojett » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:48 am

It's not; sort of reminds me of a tallish Supra. Maybe a mix of Mk I and Mk II.
Keep on Trollin' Image
Turbojett

Postby thewalrus » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:12 am

thewalrus

Postby Turbojett » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:15 am

Keep on Trollin' Image
Turbojett

Postby thewalrus » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:47 am

thewalrus

Postby ryguy79 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:11 pm

Last edited by ryguy79 on Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ryguy79

Postby 1300zuk » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:01 pm

My fiat has both analog and digital.

Comes in handy when one of them breaks (it's actually happened before)
1300zuk

Postby Turbojett » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:31 pm

Keep on Trollin' Image
Turbojett

Postby JaysonAych » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:33 am

JaysonAych

Next

Return to General Banter