[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Automobile Forum • View topic - Video game thread

Video game thread

General Topics

Video game thread

Postby Turbojett » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:48 am

'Cause we don't have a whole forum for it.

Anyway, I've been playing Fourza again lately. In Gran Turismo, I'd always go to the Nurburgring and try to beat the manufacturers' lap times on a bunch of different cars, and usually I had no problems, even if it took me a few laps. Today, I was like, I hadn't ever done that in Forza, so I popped in 4, and gave it a go in the CTS-V coupe, since its only in Forza.
Now the production CTS-V's lap record is 7:59. Okay, challenge accepted. So I used a stock vehicle, and gave my self a warmup lap so I could get a flying start and went to work.
Man, I wasn't even close. First lap I timed myself on, I was more than a minute slower. I whittled it down after a while, but no matter how much quicker I went or how much I hurried, the best I could muster was 8:49. I was hitting the Little Carousel at 8:00. I'm driving a stick with the aids off, FYI. Anybody have any tips--aside from that gif of Gabe Newell saying "suck less."
Keep on Trollin' Image
Turbojett

Re: Video game thread

Postby the_edge » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:25 am

This is the first game generation I haven't actually bought a next gen system.

Why?

The SNES/N64/PS3 launch games all made me go "wow" and want to buy the system. The ps4 and xbox1 have been quite dissapointing IMO
the_edge

Postby ConeDodger » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:07 pm

CS:GO, Assetto Corsa, Minecraft are all I play (when not recording) currently...nothing new has interested me in a while.
That kid that used to be Dodge...
ConeDodger

Postby JaysonAych » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:55 am

JaysonAych

Postby Talon » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:38 am

What do you guys think about the controversial game, Hatred?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV3PhvCf_Jg
Talon

Postby JaysonAych » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:07 am

First I've heard of it. I dunno, looks kinda meh. Like they're trying too hard to be edgy.
JaysonAych

Postby ConeDodger » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:45 am

unrelated-

TJ your avatar looks like that album art of an edIT album that just got re-released...any connection?
ConeDodger

Postby Honor » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:15 am

The only game I'm really looking forward to in the near future is Mad Max.
Honor

Postby Honor » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:21 am

Honor

Postby Talon » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:59 pm

While I’m obviously not against violence in video games (I mean, who doesn’t like a little GTA or that mission in MW2 where you mow down people in the mall?), I don’t think this game is going to do anyone any favors. This is going to be what the censors are going to use in any future political agendas and such. At least in GTA/CoD/Doom/etc there is a mission going on and/or you’re considered the “good guy.”

I think this game is going to do way more harm for the gaming community than anything, regardless on your thoughts of the game itself. Would I play this game? Sure, if one of my buddies had it and was like “check this out.” But I’m not going out of my way to buy it or anything. It's only getting publicity because some companies are refusing to sell it. Hopefully it just runs its course...
Talon

Postby Honor » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:51 am

yeah the difference between this game and GTA is it this game encourages you to kill innocent people GTA just gives you the option but it's not crucial to the story
Honor

Postby JaysonAych » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:38 am

I think a good story teller could create a disturbing but fascinating narrative, and really delve deep into the psychosis of a character like that and make an interesting game, but there would have to be some substance to it. Some sort of commentary on society or games or mental health issues...anything. Media with these kinds of themes, whether they're games, movies, or TV shows, have to explore or satirize something to give you some sort of pay off for taking part in something horrible like that.

This, however, just looks like some slipshod isometric arcade shooter with some "Blitz: The League" style zoom-ins of murders, with no real point other than, wow look at that lady cry and beg for her life before you put a Glock in her mouth and blow her brain stem out of her skull. For no reason other than, "senseless murder is cool, right?" The art is dull, the gameplay looks boring, and there doesn't seem to be any story or motivation other than "guy shoots things." It's just an interactive snuff film trying way too hard to be controversial for the sake of controversy.

Oh, and the CEO of the development company might be a supporter of neo-Nazi and anti-Muslim groups so fuck that guy http://www.polygon.com/2014/10/20/70202 ... c-responds
JaysonAych

Postby Talon » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:48 pm

Yea, and I fear this is just the ammunition the censors and politicians need to try and take away those games you discuss in your first paragraph, Jay. Takes me back to the whole Doom/Wolfenstein debate back in the day when the game was found in Harris/Cleabolds room or whatever.

Then it becomes a whole, where do you draw the line debate. Next thing you know we're all going to be playing - or not playing - Care Bears or some stupid shit. This game ain't helping us, and I am hoping it just goes away after a few months when the shock value wears off.
Talon

Postby Turbojett » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:29 am

Keep on Trollin' Image
Turbojett

Postby tut » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:01 am

my parents had a rule when I was a kid.

we could play video games, but we weren't allowed to shoot people. only monsters. and for some reason wolfenstein was allowed too
tut

Postby ConeDodger » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:26 am

ConeDodger

Postby JaysonAych » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:12 am

JaysonAych

Postby ConeDodger » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:09 am

I never played any shooter game until maybe 16..somewhat parental influence but partially I didn't have any interest in them either. Until I found the PC FPS genre, its been downhill ever since.
ConeDodger

Postby Talon » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:54 pm

My dad hated video games but my mom didn't care. But, kind of like Jay the most violent game of my younger days was Mortal Kombat. I played Doom a little but couldn't ever get it to run right on my pos computer.
Talon

Postby Turbojett » Sun Dec 28, 2014 2:24 pm

Keep on Trollin' Image
Turbojett

Return to General Banter